Chapter Forty

I stand by the open door getting ready to jump, I can see Eren's titan slowly moving forward. This whole plan is crazy. I can feel Jean right behind me, he has his thunder spears ready as the others do apart from Reiner and I. 

We made the decision that it would be more beneficial to fight in our titan forms. We have the power might as well use it. 

"We need to locate Eren and stop this," Armin calls out over the sound of the engine.

Everyone gives a short sharp nod but we all know it's not going to be that easy. There is no way Eren is going to let us stop him without a fight.

I spot something forming on the back of Eren. I squint my eyes trying to get a better look. "Hey, something is happening down there."

A few heads pop up next to me as we all stare down at the spine of Eren. It looks like a titan of some kind being made out of thin air. 

"Is that a titan?" Someone asks from behind me.

"I think so," I grumble. "It looks kind of familiar."

As we get closer to Eren, the titan becomes more familiar. My eyes grow in shock, it's Zeke and it looks like he is getting ready to throw something.

"Hold on," I yell back at the rest of the team.

Levi calls out orders as Jean grabs ahold of me. He presses my face into his chest before I can argue you anything. We all brace for impact. The airship violently shakes as we take hits. Jean manages to keep a tight hold of me.

I peek up at him and he avoids all eye contact with me. He slowly releases his hold on me as Levi limbs over to the open door.

"Our focus is Zeke. Kill that hairy bastard." Levi commands.

I nod, getting ready. I stretch my arms above my head, hearing all my joints click into place. Everyone crowds around the door. Jean gently pulls me back a little.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He whispers.

"It has nothing to do with what I want. It's what we need to do to give Marco a future." I say. "To give the rest of those who are alive, a future."

"Just be careful." He whispers.

"We say this to each other every time, Jean. I will do whatever I can to get back to your side. I love you."

He grabs me slamming his lips into mine. He grips the collar of my shirt tightly, keeping me in place for a moment before releasing. There is a hard look of determination in his eyes.

"I love you, too. Let's do this."

I wink at him as I throw myself out the door, waving to him as I hurtle towards the ground. The rest of the team isn't far behind me. Reiner motions to my hand and I give everyone a small wave before sinking my teeth in.

My titan body crashes into Eren's spine. I steady myself, Reiner already has Zeke pinned and there is steam rising from his body. I walk over and notice there is no sign of Zeke. I can hear Levi grumbling something but nothing is audible at this point. 

Reiner lets the beast titan's body drop to the side. He comes to stand beside me as the rest start discussing something. I keep an eye out for anything suspicious. Everything seems a little too easy at the moment.

Nods are suddenly shared around the group and I'm motioned to move off by Levi. As I turn to leave, something catches my eye. I pause for a moment, waiting. A titan appears out of a wall of steam grabbing Armin. 

My instincts kick in and I sprint towards Armin. Something hard hits me from the side and I find a titan trying to clamp onto my face with its mouth. Reiner is quick to grab it and throw it aside. Before he has a chance to move, another titan attacks him.