Chapter Nine

I reached over the deck railing and my fingers touched the amazing crystal clear blue ocean. I stared at the beautiful clear ocean underneath while Niall peeked from a window on the second floor of the yacht. The sun was amazing, almost unbearable hot but still welcome after the freezing coldness of London's winter. I can't believe how pretty Jamaica is, the soft blue skies, the amazing sunshine... The boat slowly rocked and the sun gently shining down, it made you want to fall asleep but with only a swimsuit, I'll roast. I didn't want to spend the rest of my week in Jamaica red as a lobster and nursing a sunburn. 

I reached over the lounger and fished inside my brand-new straw woven beach bag for my sunscreen. 

"Babe?" Niall shouted from somewhere upstairs. "Lunch's ready!" 

I groaned as I settled into the lounger. I was hoping to get a nice tan while reading a battered copy of Harry Potter. 

"OK!" I called back, wrenching myself off the lounger and heading inside reluctantly, swinging the big bag around my shoulder. The air-conditioning was a shock after the almost unbearable heat outside, goosebumps immediately rising on my arms. I shivered as I glanced around the luxurious wooden interiors. I looked around for my cardigan which I was pretty sure I left on the comfy sofa. The others - Lou's parents and sisters and a bunch of Louis' close friends as well as Niall - were probably upstairs on the upper deck at the back of the boat enjoying a gourmet lunch. Somehow I wasn't hungry, nor willing to go upstairs and chat politely to complete strangers that I didn't know nor planned to keep in touch with. I just wanted a bit of solitude.

"Elle?" Niall thundered down the stairs and spotted me. "Hey, I didn't see you on the deck and I thought you disappeared." He grinned as he tickled me and I laughed, trying to squirm away. "You seem to do that a lot, maybe I'll have to keep you at my side all the time from now on."

"Sounds good," I said and he chuckled. He wrapped his arms around my waist and sort-of swung me up on to his lap, holding me tightly. "Hey," I protested mildly as his arms tightened. I stuck one hand out for my cardigan sitting next to me on the seat. 

"You look really sexy in a bikini," he said.

"Shut up, it's a swimsuit."

"You didn't pack any bikinis?" he asked, looking disappointed. I did, about three but I wasn't planning on baring all for him. I shook my head and he pouted. I laughed, trying to squirm free. "Well seems like I'll have to ask the Captain to turn around and get you a whole closet full of 'em."

"No way." He laughed. 

"C'mon, lunch," Niall said, sweeping me up neatly and tossing me over his shoulder as he headed for the stairs. 

"I'm not hungry." I gently patted his neck. "Can you put me down please?"

"Nope. You have to eat. You're too skinny!"

"Oh yeah? I'll show you what skinny can do," I mocked as I squirmed free, and as I was about to flop to the floor head-first, Niall managed to grab me and his arms tightened. 

"Hey, careful. I can't have you suffering brain damage in the middle of the ocean." 

"Put me down," I said calmly, trying to squirm away. 

"You know what, why don't we go for a little swim?" Niall asked, heading for the sliding door leading on to the lower deck where I was suntanning a moment ago. He slid open the door, careful about my head as he walked out on to the sun. "Jesus, it's hot. What have you been doing out here when you could be in an air-conditioned luxury yacht?"

"Tanning," I replied, kicking my legs wildly. 

"Hey! You almost hit my chin there, babe. Chill out, OK? I'll put you down, I promise." He turned and headed for the loungers when I accidentally kicked his hand. "Ow!" he cried and it was like time froze in place, and in slow motion, I fell headfirst into the blue ocean.