Chapter Thirty-Six

Niall Horan

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" I shout, spitting angrily, not caring that I was twisting his arm. I hope I broke it. I shove my other hand against his chest, pinning him against the wall. "What, can't you fucking get another girl? You had to fuck KATE?!" 

Fear is splashed across his face. "Niall I -"

"She's been crying all night," I spit. It broke my heart, seeing Elle so hurt. In so much pain but knowing you couldn't do anything to help. It was miserable, trying to comfort her. She ended up crying herself to sleep and spent about 6 hours sobbing. I couldn't do anything - except beat the shit out of the asshole I called my friend.

Shock registers. Then pain shoots through his face, crumpling. "What?" he breathes. "I never meant to hurt her -"

"The hell you did!" I snap harshly. I twist his arm tighter. Beads of sweat dot my forehead and I glare at him with enough hatred to melt steel. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" I yell. "You said you loved her! I'm sorry, but does your version of love mean you go and fuck their best friend and then almost get her pregnant?? I don't even care if you try to hurt me, kill me, go ahead. You fucking hurt ELLE. She's small and innocent and she feels guilty enough that she can't do anything about the fact that she's been hurting you but is this some sort of sick revenge? It worked. OK? Are you happy now that you got what you wanted? Because it's worst enough that you slept with her and almost got the girl pregnant, you had to do it with KATE. You know how close they are!! The fact that you would even do that and betray Elle that way, both of you - You're dead to me. Don't you fucking dare talk to her or even go close to her. Don't even talk to her, look at her, think about her. You touch her one time and I won't hesitate to break your face. In fact, don't even talk to me. You don't deserve the right."

With that, I let the asshole go and stomp off. 

*

Elle Robinson

"Niall?" I whisper, opening my eyes slowly. I felt exhausted. I must have fallen asleep last night. Without Niall's warm body, it felt too cold. "Niall?" I whisper slightly louder, looking around to realize I was alone. Tears filled my eyes again. I was alone. I always was. 

I get up and retrieve my bathrobe, slipping it on. I tiptoe down the carpeted hallway to the long sweeping stairs. I scan the room, making sure Harry or K aren't around before I made my way to the kitchen. Careful to check the room first, I walk into empty kitchen. Everyone seemed to be still asleep. Loneliness kicked me in the gut. 

I start to open cabinets to look for the cups to make a cup of tea when the door closes and I turn around to see Niall. 

"Babe," he whispers, hugging me tightly. He kisses my hair. "Are you OK?" 

I nod. "I suppose." I laugh dryly, no humor. It felt like some depressed bitch. Pain was all I had. The pain that drummed on my brain constantly in some annoying beat. K slept with Harry. The betrayal cut deeper than I expected. It seemed shallow, he could sleep with anyone and I would still be hurt but knowing my best friend, the person I've trusted with everything, went ahead and slept with him anyway... That hurt the most.

How could she do this to me??

"I'm sorry, I went out for an errand," he says, looking at me with his beautiful blue eyes, worried. "Are you sure you're OK? I was going to make you breakfast in bed..." 

"No, you didn't have to," I say instantly. "I'm fine." I switched on the coffeemaker and waited as it hummed quietly. I glance up to see Niall looking agonized. "I'm sorry about last night, I sort of -" I start.