Chapter Eleven

Niall Horan

"Has anyone seen Elle?" I asked Zayn, crossing the boardwalk lit with little twinkly fairy lights.

It was part of the 'entertainment' part to have the whole party pile on to the yacht to watch the firework display over Kingston at midnight to celebrate Christmas. Apparently, Kingston has a huge rep of firework displays and every year was epic. 

"Nope." He shook his head, handing me a glass of champagne. "Hey get on, the boat's leaving."

"I can't. I have to find Elle." I shook my head at the drink and Zayn raised an eyebrow suspiciously. He grabbed my arm, stopping me. 

"What's going on, mate?" he asked, narrowing his eyes. "You seem frazzled." He eyed the crumpled up tux and messed up hair. OK, I did freak out a bit... "Something wrong with the two of you? I thought you were happily deliriously in love."

"Urm, not really." I ran a hand through my hair again. 

"Niall," he warned. "Tell me. Or are you keeping secrets from me too? Ever since you've been back from that little scream fest with her and Li and Harry, you've been acting really odd."

"What scream fest?" I asked, pretending I didn't know. God, did he know?

"The one you had with Li and Harry and Elle in the men's loo?" he prompted. He swinged back the glass of champagne. "I heard you all screaming but the DJ chose that moment to blast Who Let The Dogs Out. Lou requested it, obviously." He rolled his eyes. "I thought something was up but decided I'll ask later. And I'm asking now. What's going on, Nialler? I know something's wrong." He eyed me. 

"I can't tell you now. Have you seen Elle?"

"I told you, NO." He rolled his eyes. "So you're keeping secrets from me too then. You know, ever since you've been with Elle, all she's had been is trouble. I feel like I don't even know who you are anymore. God, she's bad news Niall! Why can't you see it? She's causing nothing but chaos since she's arrived from God knows where."

"You don't know anything Zayn," I snapped. "And you don't even LIKE Elle. Why do you bother pretending to care?"

"I don't care about ELLE, I care about you. You're a completely different person now. You've changed. If that's what she's doing to you -"

"Zayn shut the hell up, OK? I really really like her!" I cried. "If you can't accept that, I'm sorry but I've got nothing else to say to you! And don't you dare talk about Elle that way, OK? She's amazing and just because you don't see eye-to-eye doesn't mean she isn't the most incredible girl I've ever met. And I don't keep secrets, I didn't tell you because you don't even like her so I've got nothing to say. You don't even have the decency to ACT around her, all you do is show her how much you dislike her. How do you think that makes me feel? Why can't you just be happy that I've found someone?" I demanded, pissed off. "And she's from London, same as everyone here! It's not her bloody fault everyone is causing drama, so stop blaming it on her! We don't talk because you give that stupid attitude every single time I bring her up. The lads seem to like her! Why can't you?"

He looked stunned. "So you're choosing a GIRL over your best mate," he said slowly, blinking at me.

"No, it's not my fault my best mate doesn't bloody understand," I snapped. 

I turned and walked towards the yacht where everyone was boarding. Maybe Elle came up... I brushed past Louis' gran and headed towards the deck. It was full of people enjoying classic music and champagne. "Perrie! Seen Elle?"

She looked surprised. "No. Have you seen Zayn?"

"He was on the boardwalk a moment ago. Do you have any clue where she could be? Is she on the boat?"