498

498 Close Range Combat!

Boom, boom, boom… the beams all made their mark on the respective mecha they had targeted. Due to Ling Lan decision in attacking from a distance where the power of the beam gun was at its strongest, in addition to the analysis of power of the mecha in accordance to the cockpit's endurance, this round of simultaneous shots made the A.I. of the opposing 9 mecha instantly consider the mecha as "destroyed". The A.I. of the mecha forcibly shut off and the 9 mecha all dropped towards the ground.

"Assholes!" The two captains who were in the rear were so angry their eyes were red upon seeing this scene. They didn't think that the 7-man team that they were facing didn't give a ** about dying. Facing their 24-man battle team, they didn't even think about retreating and even proactively attacked first.

The vision of their members were blocked by the members in front and in addition to the sudden development, they didn't see that they had already lost 9 members in this round of attack. Upon finding out they had been attacked, they could only give out an order in anger and frustration, "Return fire!"

Like that, the remaining 15 mecha all took out their beam guns and shot at the opposition. Perhaps because the return fire was rushed, many shots ended up missing. They weren't like Ling Lan's small team who had already locked on to the target that they were going to shoot at.

However, many beams of light had hit the opposing mecha. Right when they were hit, the left arm of their mecha erupted out a light screen that guarded their front side. When the beams hit these force fields, the force fields only fluctuated a bit, then the beams disappeared without a trace. The beams that they had shot out didn't do any damage to the opposition.

"It's modified mecha!" One member said with surprise upon seeing this situation.

This discovery made the Second Men's Military Academy and the Federal Defence Military Academy's allied battle team become flustered. Modified mechas were considered luxurious items in the Federation. It would strengthen and toughen a part of of common mechas. Some mecha modification masters could even increase the performance levels exponentially. The force field that the opposing side had was without a doubt made for beam gun attacks.

None among military academy students would use modified mechas. This wasn't because they didn't have the money, but because the military academies didn't allow modified mecha from outside the academy. However, creations by those taking the modification major within the academy were allowed to be used. However, the modification ideas that students brought up as research topics usually existed only in the virtual world. Perhaps it was also that some theories and data were not applicable onto real mecha. After all, the students were still young, their theories and research would have inadequacies here and there, and would be unable to be transferred to the real thing.

Although they couldn't use modified mechas, the students still clearly knew the strength and power of modified mecha. In mecha history, there once was a special-level modified mecha that had shot down five ace mecha in battle. Although there were many reasons the ace mecha were shot down, and there might have even been the factor of luck, the ability of the special-level modified mecha was pretty much similar to ace mecha; otherwise, it wouldn't have been able to continuously take down and destroy five ace mecha.

This was also the reason which made the alliance members of the Second Men's Military Academy and the Federal Defence Military Academy become flustered. The seven mecha in front of them were three special-class mecha and four advanced mecha. After taking into account modifications, they were equivalent to a battle team consisting of four ace mecha and 3 special-class mecha. What were ace mecha like? One ace mecha could exhaust a full 12-man team of special-class mecha, not to mention three. Could they really take them down?