Chapter 34

As the night went on, Maxon and I had continued dancing. We had been chest to chest with his hands on my upper and lower back; keeping me there. In the back of my mind, I knew there were people watching but the rest of me didn't care.

We would stop on occasion to get refreshments and food. The drinks had turned out to be champagne so by midnight when Maxon had managed to drag all the Selected out to the terrace, he and I had been pretty much drunk.

He had poured each of us a drink, a grin plastered on his face. I couldn't really remember what he said but at the end of his little speech he had said, "A toast, to my future wife." He had looked over at me before taking a drink straight from the bottle.

I had managed to get to bed around two in the morning. It took so long because Maxon wouldn't let me go, not that I had wanted him to. But I had been so tired that I was ready to collapse.

I had woken up this morning alone and when I saw the time, I saw that it was nearly eleven. I was grateful that my maids had let me sleep in and had managed to take May with them. There was a pounding in my head that was nonstop and my eyelids felt too heavy to lift so I just stayed in bed for another ten minutes.

I should have had more energy. The full moon was going to be tomorrow night. I guess alcohol did that to a person. I won't be making that mistake again I said to myself. Speak for yourself snapped Tempest. You're not the one trapped inside your mind.

Sorry I said feebly. She grumbled in response but didn't say a word. Suddenly there was a knocking at my door and that's when I turned my senses on again and took a deep breath to see who it was. It was Maxon. I managed to pry my eyes open and look at the door. "America, are you awake yet?" I heard his voice through the door clear as day. Then the handle turned slowly and the door swung open. From where I was buried in my sheets, I saw Maxon hesitate. He probably thought I was asleep so when he turned to go, I called out, "Good morning."

He turned on his feet and smiled at me when he saw I was awake. Maxon let himself into the room and closed the door behind him. He was at my side almost immediately and he had his arms wrapped around me. A giggle slipped out of my mouth before I could stop it. "Hi," I said.

"Hi," he responded, his words tickling my ear. After a moment of silence, I spoke. "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Not that I'm not happy to see you."

"I don't know. I just really wanted to be with you." He paused and then asked, "Is that okay?" A hint of insecurity made its way into his voice so I snuggled my back closer to him as he was behind me. "It's more than okay," I responded.

We laid there together for what must have been five minutes when Maxon interrupted the silence. "I wanted to spend the day with you. I know that your family is here for a short time so you can decline if you want to but I figured since everyone's probably nursing some form of a hangover, that we'd have the day to ourselves." I didn't have to think twice about it. I was sure my parents would understand. I still have to tell May and Gerad. May would be excited for sure and Gerad would react like a little brother would react.

"I'd love to," I told Maxon. I rolled around to face him. "What did you have in mind?" He thought for a moment then looked over his shoulder towards my balcony doors. "Would you like to have a picnic outside for lunch? We could find some place away from everyone so none of the other girls would see us." I grinned and nodded. "Just give me 30 minutes because I really need a shower." He nodded then planted a kiss on my forehead. "Go ahead, in the meantime I'll have a maid inform the kitchen staff of our plans."

He got off my bed and leaned down to plant a kiss on my lips and whispered, "See you soon." I smiled at him and once he closed the door behind him, I let out a sigh of happiness. I suddenly realized my headache was gone. Did just being with Maxon heal my headache? I asked myself. I don't understand why you're so shocked said Tempest. This is just a hint of what the bond can do. I hope your mate link comes soon because then I can talk to him. I don't have to take control. You and me both I said and let out a sigh.