Chapter 12

I looked down at the grass after she said that. She must have noticed something because she turned to me and said, "America?" I looked up at her. The smile left her face as she looked at me. "America what's wrong? Did...did he reject you?" she asked quietly. I felt tears line my eyes. "Not yet Marlee. He hasn't rejected me yet." Her arms wrapped around me.

"Tell me about it." So, I told her, I told her everything. I told her about my first meeting with Maxon, about our first date, about the run when Tempest and I ran into Maxon. I told her about him finding out what I was and that I was his mate. How he seemed to be almost neutral about it.

"I'm trying to give him space. Let him process and decide on his own without my influence or the bond's influence over him." She nodded her head while still holding her arms around me. "America, do you think he'll choose not to be with you? I mean if I had a mate you wouldn't see me complaining."

"I don't know what he'll choose. I mean he's human and he was said that the Selection was his chance to make decisions. By having a mate, he doesn't get to choose who he'll be with." Tempest could feel my sadness and let out soft whimpers. My chest, my heart, hurt. It ached like it never did before. Not even with Aspen. Why Goddess? Is this what you wanted when you decided to mate me with Maxon? I asked internally. America hold on to some hope. It's only been a day since you talked with him. I didn't say anything. Being a Five had made me expect the worst. Meals sometimes needed to be sacrificed be to ensure heat during the winter months, sometimes you had to hope and pray for work so you could be paid so you could support your family.

Please don't be sad Tempest whimpered. Again, I didn't say anything. There was nothing that could be done until Maxon made his decision. I put my hand on Marlee's arm, letting her know she could let go. She did so and let out a sigh. "What are you going to do about Maxon," I asked her, desperate to focus on someone else's problem. She looked out at the flowers. "I don't know."

"You don't like him romantically but you don't want to leave, do you need the money?" I asked.

"No, it's not that." She bit her lip. "I met someone," she whispered, still not looking at me. "Here at the palace." I didn't say anything, hoping she wouldn't lose her courage to tell me. "At first, we would be bump into each other accidentally, a little playful banter would be exchanged and we would go on our way. But we kept seeing each other and our playful banter turned into conversations. Eventually I felt like I had to keep him a secret even though we hadn't done anything.

"He tried to break it off with me but I saw the look in his eyes. He didn't want to but he was trying to respect Maxon and the Selection." I rubbed her back, trying to encourage her without words to continue. "But I told him 'No this isn't fair' and kissed him." I let out a gasp.

"Marlee!" I said, incredulously. "I know, I know but I thought to myself 'Why should I punish myself for feeling this way?' I know I don't like Maxon and I'm pretty sure he feels the same about me...and he makes me happy America, he makes me laugh."

"I'm glad you're happy. I'm glad you found someone." I paused. "Who is he?"

"He's a royal guard. I've never felt like this about someone America. He makes me want to take risks to be with him." I looked at the flowers around us. A few had bloomed from the way Marlee was talking about her beau. It made me smile. Yup, definitely a forest witch I chuckled to myself. "When did all this happen Marlee?" She let out a breath. "The near breakup happened a few days ago. It's part of the reason why I had been a little distant. I was worried about being caught flirting with a guard."

"Have you told him about what you are?" I asked curious. She shook her head. "Are you going to tell him?"

"Eventually," she sighed. "It's just so complicated. I have to go home to become a full witch but if I go home there's no way I'd be able to see him. And to others we look like strangers so asking to see him after the Selection would look so suspicious. I don't know what I'm going to do."