Chapter 24

Hot. Everything was hot. Goddess it was hot and everything hurt. The pain wasn't nearly this bad earlier. I had managed to fall asleep this morning with Maxon's arm around me but, around noon, the pain started spreading from my uterus to my chest. I woke up screaming. I remember Toby coming into the room. He and Maxon spoke and then I was being lifted and taken to this safe room.

I don't remember my other heats being this bad. It's probably because you've met your mate America. Since you have the option to mate with him, to curve the pain, your body is bringing it on full force said Tempest. I groaned. That's stupid I said back. Maxon's presence helped. Even if I couldn't have him, it was better than nothing. I miss Maxon. As soon as he left earlier, the pain had come back. It was much worse without his hand running through my hair.

Marlee's quiet chanting brought my thoughts back to the present. I moved my eyes to her bowed head. Once the safe room door had closed, she had started pulling out herbs and a few candles. She's been saying a chant that was supposed to take away pain. She explained that because a heat was biological, it wouldn't take away 100 percent of my pain. As a result, all I felt was a constant ache all over my body.

Over the last hour, my slick had been gathering between my thighs. It was never been pleasant. When I had heats before, the slick made a mess and it didn't help me since I wasn't having sex. Now it's worse. It's making a mess between my thighs and on the cot below me and it's practically teasing me. 'Oh, you've met your mate? And you can't mate with him? Well too bad, have some extra slick.' The pain flared briefly and I shut my eyes and grit my teeth in response.

Please come back Maxon, I miss you and I need you. I opened my eyes, hoping to see he had magically appeared but, much to my disappointment, he hadn't. Marlee was still there with her head bowed. It wasn't that I wasn't grateful for her, she was after all making this bearable  but I would have preferred Maxon. I was grateful for the company though. At home, when I had heats, I would be locked in the basement for the entirety of my heat and I didn't really have company. Everyone was usually busy painting or doing something musical. They didn't have time to stop and I understood. It's not like they were doing it for fun. They were doing it to provide, so I never complained.

Sometimes May and Mom would visit but it was only to bring me my food. I miss you guys. I let out a sigh. At least at home I wasn't at risk of exposure. I can't believe I was going to have to deal with this for two more days. This sucks.

My mind drifted to earlier this morning when Maxon put me in the tub. I blushed at the memory of Maxon offering sexual acts to help me. I wish I had had a camera to take a picture of his blush. I felt more slick come out, my underwear not doing what it was supposed to do anymore.

Immediately my smile dropped and I let out an annoyed groan. This fucking sucked!

---

---

I looked down at America's sleeping face. It had been several days since her heat started and it was finally coming to an end. America was so exhausted that she managed to fall asleep as soon as the pain lessened. I let out a sigh. I hadn't been able to be with her much over these last few days after introducing my idea to father at the budget meeting.

---

We were waiting for the last advisor to arrive before starting the meeting. Father was next to me looking at some documents. I looked down at my hands in my lap. I was nervous. I didn't know how father would react to my program. In reality he had no reason to reject it. There was money to spare and it would make him look like a generous king, what more could he ask for?

My thoughts were interrupted when the last advisor burst through the door panting, no doubt he had been running from wherever he was to make it to this meeting. Once the guards closed the doors behind him father spoke, officially starting the meeting.