Chapter 53

Overnight, from November 30th to December 1st, the palace was decorated for the Christmas season. It was, for lack of a better term, magical. All the garlands, lights and poinsettias that decorated the halls added to that effect. Even a mistletoe had been hung from the ceiling resulting in a few guards and maids kissing in the hallway.

They hadn't known I was there but I could hear the distinct sound of kissing. It made me happy that even the servants and guards could enjoy the season.

The weather had become colder but of course nothing compared to Carolina's winter. And considering I ran hotter than a human, the weather didn't really affect me.

The other girls were excited about this transition as well. After our spat with Elise, we saw her less and less, only at meal times really and even then, she was quiet. None of us made an effort to include her now knowing how she really felt about me.

I was pretty sure the queen had noticed the obvious separation between our friend group and Elise but had decided not to say anything. If anyone had been paying attention, they would be able to see Elise's withdrawal from us. Before the confrontation, she would speak politely at meal times but now she would hardly speak.

I thought about her words 'anything can happen' and wondered if she was trying to make something happen or make some move on Maxon. I hadn't heard anything from Maxon in that regard but I wasn't sure if he would tell me even if something happened. Maybe he feared that Tempest would tear Elise apart for trying to take my mate.

I even found myself walking past her room on several occasions to listen in on what she was doing, trying to see if she was planning something but she was even quiet in her own room. After this happened several times, I just started to feel bad for her. Maybe at my wedding she'd have the opportunity to meet some foreign princes, something to make up for her losing the Selection. Maybe Maxon and I could make her an ambassador to New Asia. That would bring enough honor for her family, right?

I looked out of the windows in my room. With Christmas coming up, I wondered what I should get Maxon for Christmas. What did one give to someone who already had everything? I remembered he liked photography but I was sure that he had all the cameras and equipment he needed.

Maybe I should ask the queen? I asked myself. She'd definitely know what to get him. Maybe he'd like you wrapped in nothing but ribbon and a bow for Christmas. I rolled my eyes. Shut up. Although the idea was absolutely dumb I tucked it away in my mind to look at later. Maybe next Christmas when we were married.

It would be strange to spend the holidays without my family. Not smelling all the baked goods mom would make or hearing mom stress how important it was to make ourselves available to the people in the higher castes for job opportunities. Particularly to May and dad who would make sculptures as gifts for them. I wondered if Gerad had found something he was interested in, though I doubted it.

I'd also begun to wonder if Maxon was going to eliminate another girl any time soon. Do you think Elise has accepted her defeat? asked Tempest. I shook my head as if I was looking at her. I doubt it. She either genuinely believes that she has a chance or she's ignoring the fact that she's going to lose just to be stubborn. Either way, no, she hasn't acknowledged the loss.

Then I hope Maxon eliminates her soon. If she's delusional or being stubborn, either way, she needs to know the truth. And what might that be? That you're going to win the Selection and as a result, she's definitely not going to win. I didn't say anything about that but instead said, I hope Maxon also eliminates her as well. I want this to be over with.

I understand that but have you considered that once the others are gone, you're going to have to deal with the king alone. I suspect that the reason you haven't seen more of his ire is because you aren't alone. You're either with Maxon or with the girls in the Women's Room. I considered her words before speaking.