Chapter 8

I took a deep breath as I rose to my feet with as much grace as I could muster. I kept a smile plastered on my face as I took the handrail, delicately of course, and held up my dress, so I wouldn't trip, with the other. I made my way towards my seat when Gavril handed me a microphone.

"Lady America, it's so good to see you're still here." I faced him as I responded. "Good to be here Gavril." I gave him my widest smile. Please look real, please look real. "So, straight to business, have you been on a date with our prince?" he asked with a hopeful smile. He had asked this to the other girls and most had said no.

"Yes Gavril, I have." "Ah finally, I was beginning to think to think that Prince Maxon was ignoring you all," he said, laughing. "So, what did you two do?" Thinking about it I felt a little embarrassed. I mean, the others had described horseback riding, movies, archery and all we did was have an almost argument. "Well, Gavril, Prince Maxon knows that I have taken a liking to the gardens, so he took me on a walk through the gardens and we talked."

"Just talked?" he asked trying to imply that something happened. "Yes Gavril, we only talked, it was our first date. What kind of woman do you think I am?" I asked trying to keep my tone light even if I was a tad irritated that he or anyone would think I was so easy. He laughed, "Just wondering Lady America. If I don't ask these questions, who will?" I chuckled with him. "So, America is a very interesting name, is there a story behind it?" he asked, leading us onto a new topic. Yes, something easy. "It does, see, when my mom was pregnant with me, she said that out of all her children, I was the one who kicked and moved the most. Said they had a fighter on their hands.

"So, they named me after the country that fought so hard. I mean, they weren't wrong. I do have a bit of a temper." He smiled at that. "You have a bit of a temper you say? Would you happen to be the girl who yelled at the prince the first night?" Ah yes. He had also been asking the girls if they had been the one who had yelled at the prince the first night. I let out a sigh. "Yes Gavril it was me." Immediately there was chatter all around me. From the live audience, to the Selected and I could hear all of it.

But Maxon stopped that by cupping his mouth and saying, "Get her to tell you the story." He grinned like a mad man. Gavril whipped his back to me. "Oh yes, tell us the story." I glared at Maxon. He laughed. I would get him back for this. "Well, the first night I was here, I was missing my family and was getting a little claustrophobic so I wanted to go to the gardens but was stopped by guards.

"Prince Maxon came along and got them to open the door. I was upset and when he came to check up on me and I snapped at him.  But His Highness showed me kindness despite how I behaved and showed it to me again when I apologized and he allowed me to stay." I sent a smile his way and my attention back to Gavril. "Well Lady America that's all the time we have for you, it has been a pleasure." "Likewise." I handed the microphone back to him and walked back to my seat.

I could feel the girls' eyes on me  for the rest of the report. Marlee, who was seated next me didn't say anything. Did I make her mad?  I had to remember that this was a competition and, in her eyes, we were competing for the same thing.

---

After dinner, I had dismissed my maids waiting for Maxon. I could get ready for bed on my own, I've been doing it for seventeen years after all. Walking over to my closet, I slipped my heels off and took a deep breath. I wasn't use to the shoes. It didn't hurt as much as when I got there but I wasn't used to walking around on the balls of my heels 24/7. I went over to my vanity and sat down, unclasping my necklace and taking off my earrings. Next came the pins in my hair and I picked up my brush.

Slowly, I passed the brush through my locks, humming, as Tempest piped up. I can hear footsteps coming down the hall, she said, excited. It could be one the other girls Tempest I replied calmly. He'll come; he was the one who tugged his ear. The sound of footsteps were coming into my human ears and they stopped outside my door. The smell of strawberries permeating the air. Then a firm few knocks. Standing I made my way to the door and opened it. He smiled at me and said, "Hi." I returned it and replied with, "Hey." I opened the door wider. "Please come in." He moved past me and I closed the door.