Chapter 59

I said goodnight to my parents and the royal family then left the Dining Room. I wanted Maxon to spend the night with me so we decided that I'd go to my room first and then wait for him to arrive.

I got ready for bed quietly, my brain both all over the place and nowhere at the same time. I should feel happy, I really wanted to feel happiness but I couldn't. All I felt was unease and a little fear.

"Are you coming soon?" I asked Maxon, desperate to not be alone. "Yes darling I'm already on the third floor. Just let me change and I'll be right down."

"Ok," I responded. I crawled into bed and curled up into a little ball and let my mind wander to a time when I wouldn't be so nervous to be alone in the palace. Hopefully by then Maxon and I would be the rulers of Illéa. We would have two little boys and two little girls so that it would be even and everyone would have someone to spend time with, even when Maxon and I were busy.

We'd take family vacations to warm destinations. And when they're older, we'd go on runs together. Maybe the whole family would be able to join us. May and Gerad would certainly be able to shift by then. We would make this country a better place to live in for both humans and werewolves.

I felt a tear slip down my face and I opened my eyes. I wanted that reality to be real. I knew we'd get there one day but that was years away. I wanted it now without having to face any of the problems along the way.

The door to my room opened and closed and then suddenly Maxon was there, his scent enveloping me. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his chest. He was so warm and he smelled good.

"I love you," I whispered into his chest. He kissed the top of my head and said, "I love you too. Everything will be okay America. We're going to get through this, I promise."

I decided to change the subject. I didn't want to focus on the negatives right now. "I want to get married as soon as possible. A month wouldn't be enough to send out invitations and to prepare but maybe two months?"

He let out a laugh. "Sorry darling but I don't think two months would be enough either. We have to consider that other dignitaries and rulers have their own schedules to take into account before accepting the invitation. If we sent them by the end of the month, we'd have to give them time to arrive which could take a few weeks to arrive. Suffice to say baby, no it can't happen in two months."

I looked away and tried not to feel sad at what I just heard. "I just want to marry you," I said. He must have heard the disappointment in my voice because he responded with, "I know darling, I know." He placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Let's just go to sleep. Everything will feel better in the morning. I nodded and curled further into him, our legs tangling. His hand was running through my hair and eventually it soothed me enough to go to sleep.

---

The next morning, I woke up to gentle kisses on my shoulder and sparks and tingles as Maxon dragged his lips over my back. "Good morning," I said as I stretched and turned over to face him. "Good morning darling," he said, planting a kiss on my lips.

I couldn't help but smile. This was perfect. Maxon saw me smiling and smiled back. "What are you smiling about?" he asked, his fingers playing with my hair. I took a second to admire him. His hair was tousled and his lips were full. I didn't understand what I did to deserve such a handsome mate.

"I'm just so happy to be here, to be with you. Everyday I wonder what I did to get so lucky." Maxon pulled me to his body and gave me a hug.

"How'd you sleep?" He asked me quietly. "Pretty good," I responded, "and you?"