십구: Tummy Bug

The sextuplets were sickly. They had regular colds and coughs as babies, but in the past few months, they had been doing pretty well. Namjoon knew that their immune systems would be weak for their whole lives, and they would be susceptible to infections, but he was honestly happy with how well they had done.

Apart from Yoongi's bleed, and Jimin's chest - both of which were in the NICU ward - they hadn't had anything too frightening or rough. Jimin was bad for coughs and chest infections, and there were many snotty noses, usually all at one time, but there were no high fevers. No sickness or bugs. Namjoon kept them safe by wrapping them up well, and washing their hands and faces.

He knew that they couldn't be protected forever. He knew that getting sick would build their immune systems, and help them in the future, but like any father, he didn't want to see his kids get sick. He didn't want to see his kids in pain.

However, when the night came where Yoongi seemed extra floppy and tired, he got himself prepared, and tucked away some blankets, medication, and hot water bottles, to help him with whatever was going to come. He was expecting a cold, or a fever. He didn't expect what was going to happen in the next two days.

*

It was getting close to the sextuplets' bedtime, but Namjoon had noted just how lethargic Yoongi had been throughout the day. They were all close to sleeping at that point, as their cartoon was starting to round up, but Yoongi really was floppy.

He wasn't very worried. Instead, he gently shifted Jimin and Jungkook off of his lap, and tucked them into the warm spot he was leaving behind. They moaned a little, but they settled back down, and their eyes went all dazed and sleepy again.

Namjoon bundled things together quietly, so as not to disturb his six sleepy kids. He piled up some blankets, and filled a hot water bottle from the kettle. He raided his medicine cabinet, and put them into a little basket he could easily reach should Yoongi need anything. Although the kids hadn't got as sick as Namjoon had expected from preemie kids, he could recognise Yoongi ailing immediately.

When he got back, the credits of the cartoon were rolling. The sextuplets had already had their teeth brushed and night nappies changed, so Namjoon scooped up each sleepy body, and took them to their new beds. It had been surprisingly easy to change them over to a new bed. Even Jungkook had managed it without much of a fuss. He tucked them in one by one, brushing back soft hair, kissing soft cheeks.

He left Yoongi til last. He tucked him into the second bed of the second bedroom, and then slowly sat down at the end of his bed. Seokjin watched through sleepy eyes, his ears deaf due to his hearing aids being removed. Hoseok was already dead to the world, his limbs thrown out as he snuffled gently. He made Namjoon feel tired by just looking at him.

Yoongi was still awake. He looked down at Yoongi, his eyes a little glassy and his cheeks starting to turn pink. His nose was a little snuffly, and he didn't seem excited by being singled out. He didn't try to crawl into Namjoon's lap. He didn't start babbling on about the games he had played that day. He didn't moan about not being tired. The poor boy looked exhausted and pale.

"What's up, honey?" Namjoon asked gently, before resting his hand on Yoongi's forehead. He was definitely warmer than he should be, but he didn't feel feverish. Yoongi didn't pull away from Namjoon's large hand. He just looked sad.

"Tummy hurts," he whispered back with a small whimper. It felt like his stomach was burning inside of him. He had been sick randomly plenty of times, but it didn't quite feel like that. His insides felt heavy, and it was taking all of his effort to stop them from falling out. He didn't know how to explain that to daddy.

Namjoon pouted, and put a warm hand onto Yoongi's tummy. He rubbed over the small scar he had from the bleed he had, and felt a small worry niggle him. What if he was bleeding again? The doctor had mentioned that Yoongi might have stomach troubles in the future - what if it was that? His baby in pain ... He couldn't cope with that.