삼: Seokjin's Surgery

Again, Namjoon didn't sleep very well that night. His head was crowded with the thoughts of Seokjin's surgery. He didn't have the heart to tell the boy. He felt awful that he was putting his son through this, just because he initially didn't accept his disability. What sort of father couldn't love his son for the way he was?

He turned his head again to Seokjin and Taehyung's cot, and looked at the peaceful boy sleeping. Taehyung had stolen all of the blanket at once, leaving Seokjin in just his little onesie. Even though winter was fast approaching, and October was nearly finished, it was warm in the house, and Seokjin slept peacefully.

Namjoon leaned over Taehyung, and stroked Seokjin's hair gently. The toddler didn't disturb under his hand, and pulled his alpaca a little closer with a sigh. He was adorable. Namjoon loved him infinitely.

He could have stayed there for hours, but a small whimper from Jimin made him turn. The boy was lethargic the whole day, and Namjoon was hoping he would feel better today. Especially since there was such a big day ahead of them.

Namjoon lifted him out of his cot, and rocked him gently. "Good morning, sweetheart." He signed at the same time, and for once, Jimin seemed to respond to Namjoon speaking. His face lit up, and he cooed softly.

Namjoon started to stroke his hair gently, enjoying the feeling of his soft hair. He doesn't get to stroke Jimin's hair much with the helmet, so he takes any chance he can. Jimin leans into his hand, huddling his chick to his mouth.

Namjoon felt content.

Seokjin's surgery was in the morning, but the babies woke up at their usual time, and Namjoon got them dressed and ready to go. He huddled their teddies to their chests as he strapped each one into their car seat, something to keep them home in a strange environment. He was happy to see Jungkook walking confidently for the third day in a row.

Jungkook had refused to take the hoodie off last night, and ended up sleeping in it instead of his pyjamas. Namjoon tried to change him into something else in the morning, but Jungkook whined, and threatened one of his tantrums, so Namjoon just slid some joggers on him, and left him as is. He could see he wasn't getting the hoodie back any time soon.

"Where we going?" Taehyung asked. He loved car trips.

Namjoon's heart slammed. He looked at Seokjin, but he was looking down at his alpaca, picking out a bit of dirt. The toys needed a wash, but Namjoon didn't want to take them away. "Boys, you know Seokjin's poorly ears?"

They nodded.

"A doctor is going to try and make them all better, so that he can hear us, okay? Can you be big boys and be very nice to him?"

Taehyung nodded immediately, so the others followed, even Jungkook. To Namjoon's surprise, the youngest's face creased up, and he sniffled.

"What wrong?" Hoseok asked, looking at his brother sadly. "You don't have poorly ears!"

Jungkook gave another sniff. "Poor Seokjin," he mumbled, hiding his face into his bunny. Jungkook was emotional as it was, and Namjoon's heart broke at his empathy for his brother. Jungkook was a good kid, really, even with the insane amount of tantrums he had.

The father had wondered if it was worth another doctor's appointment, but then he shook the thought out of his head. All toddlers threw tantrums. With Jungkook's lack of speech, he wasn't shocked he had so many. It was just the way kids were.

Namjoon drove to the hospital with a kid's CD on, and pulled into a space. Seokjin looked up, looking up at the building worriedly. He didn't like the hospital very much, but the doctors were always very nice to him, and tickled him.