이십일: First Day of School 1

Namjoon was both excited and dreading the day. He found it hard to sleep, and found himself awake before any of the sextuplets. His babies really were growing up.

On one hand, he was thankful to finally have a break from six toddlers. He would get the house to himself for four hours, five times a week. He could get more sleep. He could pick up more hours from work. He could finally give the house a deep clean. The sextuplets would become more independent, and would make some more friends. Maybe Jungkook would come out of his shell a little. Jimin would be having specialist support. Maybe he'd even be able to walk properly soon.

But on the other hand, his heart was breaking. He kept thinking about their traumatic birth, their struggle for life, and all the hurdles they had overcome and had yet to overcome. His babies seemed too precious to be going somewhere as rough as school. They were his babies. They should still fit into his hands. He felt like he wasn't ready to let them go.

It wasn't like they were normal kids, either. Yoongi's stomach still caused him pain. He now had medication for ulcerative colitis, though it was only helping a little. What if Seokjin was bullied over his hearing aids and thick glasses. What if the others picked on Jungkook and he lashed out?

On top of that, Jimin would be entirely separate from his brothers. Namjoon had it all arranged nearly a year ago, since Jimin had so many specialist problems, but as he lay there, waiting for his alarm to go off anyway, he just felt bad for the boy. He wouldn't have the support of his brothers in a new place. No one he trusted. Would he even understand why he was being separated from his brothers? The thoughts made him feel sick.

Once he had finally pulled himself out of bed, Namjoon made himself a strong coffee, and looked out of the kitchen window. The September dawn shone down onto their garden, but Namjoon wasn't looking at the toys littered in the dew-covered grass. He zoned out as he sipped, thinking back to his own school days. He did okay at school. He had friends. He had been teased a little, but not really bullied. He was smart, and passed all of his exams with the highest of grades. He would have gone to University had he not met his once-wife.

He really did wonder how the boys would get on. He didn't really worry about Hoseok and Taehyung. Although Taehyung still limped with his bad leg, and seemed to keep taking in the wrong information, he was outgoing and courageous. He would have no problems making friends. Hoseok was a little shy, but he was well in himself, and once he got to know people, he could be even more boisterous than Taehyung. They would make friends just well. Jimin would have lots of people trained to care for him, and he was a loving and trusting boy. He wouldn't see his classmates as disabled. He would just be excited to be interacted with. He supposed Seokjin would be okay. His speech had massively improved over the summer, and he was friendly, though a little quiet. He wondered if Yoongi's tattling would get him in trouble, or would the boy be so shy he would stay quiet? And Jungkook? He just didn't know what to expect.

Although, Namjoon had to admit he felt a thrill as he roused the boys one by one, and gathered them into the bathroom for toilet time (and a nappy change for Jimin). They woke quickly, and were soon yelling over each other as they munched cereal.

He felt even more excited as he took them back to their rooms after brushing their teeth, and dressed five boys in identical deep-green blazers, and smoothed down their fringes. They just looked so cute. He put on Jimin's red jumper, then strapped his legs and feet into their braces the school had paid for two weeks ago, to stop Jimin's legs from bowing. He placed him into his wheelchair, and stepped back, tears suddenly shining in his eyes.

"Why daddy crying?" Hoseok asked immediately, his own face creased up into a frown. "Are you sad, daddy?"

"Daddy no sad!" Yoongi butted in, toddling over to hug Namjoon's leg. "No cry, daddy. Only cloves!"