Neonatal: Il

There was no possible way that Namjoon's wife could ever give birth to all six of the babies, especially not in the state they were in. The contractions had started whilst Namjoon rushed her to the hospital, leaving her sobbing and gasping. They had no idea if the babies would be too far down for a cesarean. They had no idea how many, if not any, babies would survive being born at such a low week.

She was rushed straight into the surgery, and Namjoon could only watch as she was sedated into numbness, and her abdomen cut open. Nearly 20 doctors were in the room, and a scary amount of equipment, all ready to at least try and save the lives of the 6 babies, and their mother.

At 24 weeks, the babies' lives were deemed saveable. They were developed enough to be helped as best they could. However, with their tiny size due to lack of space, and lack of nutrients, since the poor woman could only eat so much in one day, there was already a large chance the babies weren't going to survive.

They hadn't tried to name the babies based off the scans. They had just listed the names in no particular order, and had decided to name them as they came out. Even if they didn't survive, they would have a name.

The first baby was pulled from Namjoon's wife's womb - baby Seokjin. The puny baby gave one little mew as an attempt to breathe, before the doctors pounced on him, rubbing him vigorously with a towel. He was put into one of the waiting incubators, and wires and tubes were attached anywhere possible on that tiny, underdeveloped body. An intubation tube was pushed into his nose, but the baby was alive. Seokjin was alive.

Next came Yoongi. He was smaller, and skinnier than Seokjin, but that hardly mattered, when they only fit onto one hand. He didn't make any noise. Namjoon could only watch as another set of doctors rubbed him, and tried to start the miniature heart in his body beat. Namjoon could only hold his breath, watching between them saving Yoongi, and more doctors pulling out the third.

Hoseok was delivered as Yoongi showed a little sign of life, and the process started over again. Hoseok was a little longer than the other two, but he also showed no sign of life at first. However, when the doctors rubbed him down, his face creased up. They were too young to even open their eyes, like a newborn kitten or puppy, but Hoseok was there. Yoongi and Hoseok were alive.

Namjoon held his breath. The doctors seemed to be struggling with the next baby. They had seen on the scans that one of the babies was being crushed by the others, in the middle of them all. They were told as soon as they saw the situation that this baby had an almost impossible chance of living - and it seemed to be true.

However, the baby was finally pulled out, and Namjoon's fears were proved true. The baby was tiny. Much, much smaller than the others already delivered. He showed no sign of life, and Namjoon could tell by the way that the doctors weren't putting in as much effort to try. He had to bring himself to accept that baby Jimin wouldn't survive.

But he was wrong. Jimin, however small, however underdeveloped, was determined. His body made a feeble attempt to cry, but no sound came out, and he started to slip again. The doctors worked harder, intubating him like his brothers, and setting up monitors. Namjoon couldn't help but smile. That's his son. That's his Jimin. Jimin was alive.

Next came Taehyung. He was bigger than Jimin, but still significantly small. He was maybe a little bigger than the doctor's hand in his curled up state. He was like Seokjin, who immediately flailed a little, before being sedated and his bodily functions being taken over. Taehyung was alive.

The last baby was Jungkook. He was a similar size to Seokjin and Taehyung, and maybe even a little chubbier. It seemed like he was the baby who was getting the most nutrients, and was taking up the most space in the womb. He needed to be rubbed thoroughly before his little face creased, and then the race to protect his life started. Jungkook was alive.