삼십오: Vagus Nerve Stimulant

Just a week into March, a letter came through the letterbox, which Yoongi gladly brought to his daddy. Namjoon recognised the hospital envelope. Many thoughts passed through his mind. Was it a check-up on Taehyung's legs? Maybe a review of Seokjin's cochlear implants? Perhaps the promised support groups for Jungkook? Or, most likely, yet another review and care plan update on Jimin.

Now, the surgery had never left his mind, but it wasn't one of the things he had expected the letter to be, despite it being in the promised timeframe Jimin's doctor had given. He was just so used to Jimin being sedated, and the life he led because of it. He almost spilled his coffee when he realised the date was just a week away.

And, better yet, the sextuplets took the news well. Incredibly well, actually. Namjoon knew they weren't coping well with their brother being so unwell and needing a lot of care and attention, but he had thought that they had stopped loving him altogether, and wouldn't celebrate the news. However, they all stood up and hollered, jumping around and getting overexcited, even Jungkook. Yoongi had given Jimin a gentle cuddle, whilst Seokjin held his hand. Later, Hoseok played with his chick with him, making it stroke his cheek with its wing. They suddenly stopped giving him such a wide berth, and spoke to him like they used to.

Jimin had an appointment for blood tests and surgery review the next day, which Namjoon attended whilst the others were at school. Jimin made no noise when the needle was poked into his arm, his pupils just dilating ever so slightly. Namjoon held him tight, looking down at his still face. He was just so excited to get his son back. He had an MRI on his brain after to make sure all was well, before going back to the neurologist's office.

"It's a relatively short, non-invasive surgery," she began as she logged into her computer. "We're looking at around an hour and a half due to his size. We'll make two small incisions just under his armpit and one on his neck. We'll put the stimulant device into his chest, and guide the wire through to his vagus nerve, where we'll attach it with the second incision. It's as easy as that."

Namjoon nodded, listening carefully. He knew there was a lot more to come, so he stayed quiet, rocking Jimin in his little fox blanket.

"We'll do the surgery under local anaesthetic, since it's too dangerous to put him fully under whilst he's on his sedatives. Due to his low immune system and him being a preemie, we're going to put him into a quarantined room after, and keep him there for a week, until we turn on the stimulant and assure it's working well."

"Wait, so ... it won't actually be on for a whole week?"

The neurologist looked at him sympathetically. "It can cause a lot of complications if it's turned on right away. The body needs time to settle and heal, the same as your eldest son's cochlear implants."

Namjoon nodded, a little ashamed. "Right."

"Usually, you could go home the same day, or the day after, but like I said, Jimin's immune system is pretty low-" Namjoon knew that. All of the sextuplets had low immune systems. "-and I think, with how vital this surgery is, we want as few complications as possible. Right?"

Namjoon nodded again. "What are the complications?"

"Well, with the actual surgery, there's nothing too major, just the usual things like infection, a reaction to medications. His vocal cords may be temporarily paralysed, but he'll be remaining on sedation until we're ready to turn the stimulant on, so this should, if it arose, pass before he's come around. But there are some risks that can happen after the surgery. He might struggle to breathe, have a lot of pain, have coughs and headaches, tingling skin. Again, if they arose, they should pass, but if they're severe enough, the stimulant may need removing."