208 - Rebecca

The ceiling sure was interesting.

It didn't matter how long I'd stared at it, I couldn't stop. It was like I was obsessed with the blank, painted ceiling—so much so that I couldn't look away.

I hadn't eaten, I was sure, for a little while and I hadn't actually seen my boyfriend or any of my "friends." I'd been busy with the walls and the ceiling and anything that wasn't other people. I knew Colby had got into bed with me twice since the last time I was functioning normally, and that was about all I knew for the passage of time. If I'd slept, I didn't remember dropping off or waking up.

It felt like nothing was getting any better; like it couldn't. I wasn't even that upset, I was just... numb? I didn't know, I couldn't tell when all I could think about was that image.

As I breathed, I felt how heavy my chest was and imagined the heart inside ceasing to beat any longer. That's what'd happened, after all, wasn't it? She'd been lying there alive at first then he'd let her bleed out right under his nose, the bastard. He carelessly let her die in front of him because he didn't give a shit about anything but blood. He was stupid to get rid of one of his favourite sources, but who was I to judge his actions when pathetic little me was sat here in bed staring at a ceiling.

Sure, I wasn't murdering anyone but that'd probably come after.

The numbness was bliss. It was when the door carefully opened and closed and two light footsteps made their way through the room to me that the numbness went away, and my emotions hit me like a truck again. I didn't dare to look at the two grown women climbing into bed with me on either side to sandwich me. I wanted to tell them to get the fuck out but my vocal cords wouldn't work without me breaking.

An arm draped over my waist from either side and two heads snuggled into my neck. I felt the warmth wash over me like a blanket—one more than what was already covering my body. This warmth; this human heat was completely different to that of fabric. This had blood and feeling behind it and made my heart beat faster, for once in a positive respect.

"Before you tell us to fuck off," Tara whispered as she cuddled closer to me, "we aren't going anywhere."

I didn't reply.

They stayed with me for a short while before the silence became too much for them. I wasn't surprised that Katrina was the first to break it, lifting her head just barely to check that I was alive still. We briefly met gazes but I turned quickly away. I could still see her soft smile in the corner of my eye, though, as she laid her head back down.

"How have things been for you, Tara?" she asked in a quiet voice reminiscent of a mouse. This wasn't a Katrina I knew, but maybe one I could get used to.

Tara smiled—I felt her lips curve on my skin, she was so close. "It's been going alright. I miss my best friend, though."

"Me too," Katrina agreed and nudged me. "Please tell me you miss us, too."

I didn't reply.

"We'll get you eventually, Beck," Tara whispered, her lips tickling my neck. I automatically shifted away from her and she started to smile as she lifted her hand up to my face. She held me still so she could kiss my cheek, which I instantly tried to push her away for. She didn't budge. "Trust me when I tell you we aren't going anywhere. You know how annoying we are. You might as well have a nap because we'll still be here in a couple of hours."

I used my voice for the first time, which even I didn't expect until the soft words were out. "Just don't kiss me again."

Simultaneously, both girls leaned up and kissed me from either side. I had nowhere to go or escape so I settled for huffing to myself. Katrina giggled and Tara grinned.

"Affection is the best way to get through to you, Beck," Tara teased.

"You can't tell us it isn't. When you get mad at us for being too close, you speak." Katrina smirked. "We're geniuses."

And annoying, I wanted to add but didn't. I wasn't ready to be myself just yet.

After a couple of silent seconds, both Katrina and Tara curled up with the covers pulled over all three of us. It was way too hot but we all fought through it, none of us wanting to say anything. They were with me and no matter how little I'd changed, I wanted them to be there; I wanted them to be here for me like I never thought; I wanted them to give a shit, and this proved to me that they did.

I supposed there was a part of me that cared for them, too... A part of me that really cared for them. Although I'd yet to admit it, I cared about these girls almost as much as I loved Colby. They were just as huge a part of my life as he was. I wasn't myself with them, but I wasn't myself still with Colby, so could that really be how I measured it up? How willing I felt to jump in front of a stake for them seemed more accurate.

Katrina? I'd protect her from anything I was able to.

Tara? I'd jump in front of anything needed for her.

As long as it helped them, I was fulfilling my duty.