212 - Rebecca

The first better awakening I could have had was stolen from me by none other than Colby. Despite falling asleep in arms, I'd woken up alone and it'd brought back my old attitude—the one that made people hate me and had broken a lot of things. I didn't know how long the bitch was back for but, while I was still processing, I was glad to have her.

Whether the others were surprised by me getting up as soon as I woke up or not, I didn't know, only that Colby wasn't in bed with me and I wanted to know where he was.

I changed into real clothes after a shower—the ones that made me think I perfectly matched Colby back in the day, and I found myself descending the stairs with the loud thump of my boots. I couldn't hear any voices for most of the walk but I could hear a distant thump of music, telling me everyone was hanging out in the red room as per.

Before I could get there, I paused next to the kitchen and noticed someone sitting on the island. Devyn, all alone, staring down at her phone as she swung her legs back and forth. She didn't notice me until I took a step closer to her and she startled, almost dropping the phone before she slid onto the floor and said, "Oh, my god, hi."

I nodded at her, uninterested. Maybe she knew that because she added, "Colby's with Sam and Corey getting us all blood bags. Are you... looking for him?" I shrugged with a shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Fine." My voice was harsh.

"Can I give you a hug?"

"No."

"Can Katrina? I know she's been dying to for forever now..." I stared into Devyn's eyes as she begged me on behalf of someone else. I didn't want to stand in front of Katrina and see that look on her because I knew she'd get the power over me, so I shook my head at Devyn and turned for the living room.

Sitting down on the couch, I waited for Colby to come back. It felt incredibly menial and girly to do so, but I couldn't help myself. I wanted my legs around him the moment he walked through that door, and I couldn't do that if I was in the red room or our room.

So I waited.

Finally, first of the bunch, the door opened and Colby slid through it. He was holding a small crate, which he zipped into the kitchen, then he came back to the hall to hold the door open for Sam and Corey, both of which had the same crates. It was like he hadn't even noticed me until that door was shut and Sam and Corey were walking away, then he turned around and met my eyes.

Without breaking the eye contact, I got up from the couch and walked over to him, giving him no space for argument or hesitation when I dragged his head close to mine. Our lips almost crashed together as I bent my body into the shape of his. His hands laid tentatively on my waist, but when I ran my palms up his chest to make his muscles tighten, he grabbed at my hips so hard I thought they might bruise. But that wasn't on my mind when every part of me was so focused on his touch.

He let his hands go where they wanted after that, reaching behind my thighs to lift me up. I tried not to squeal but a soft whimper came out. From up there, I was able to look down on Colby and see the pretty flecks of light in his eyes that made me fall in love with him all over again.

Slowly, he let me back down, watching me like I was watching him. When my boots were securely on the floor, I wrapped my arms around his waist and he placed a hand to the side of my face. I saw the silent question in his face; he was asking me if I was normal now.

"I don't know," I whispered softly, though I knew the others could hear if they wanted to. He leaned down to kiss me again, savouring the time he had with me like this, then slid his fingers through mine and tugged me toward the hall.