Tastes Like Home #2

Two
LEAH WOODS

My eyes almost bulged out of my head as I considered what I could possibly do

My eyes almost bulged out of my head as I considered what I could possibly do. I'd gotten barely a few minutes alone with Luca before she'd managed to find me. How, I'd never know.

He was staring at his door nervously, waiting for my reaction to the—as far as he was concerned—hysterical woman on the other side. I found myself shifting my weight between my feet biting my lip, completely dumbstruck. I hadn't planned for this to happen so fast. Yes, I knew Rebecca would find out I'd snuck out eventually, but I thought that would be as I returned home, not while I was with Luca.

She banged on the door a few more times, her voice rattling the walls and likely disturbing Luca's neighbours. "Leah, I'll break down this door if you don't come and open it."

I didn't notice Luca sneaking up on me until his arm brushed mine and my head snapped back to see his face. He leaned toward my ear, whispering, "Is that your mom?" I wanted to laugh at the slightly scared look on his face, but I couldn't find much humour when Rebecca was this angry. She was too scary.

"No, that's not my mom," I replied. "It's my aunt." He frowned but let me leave his side to walk up to the door. Rebecca stopped her pounding, hearing me approaching, and I pulled it open only enough that I could see her.

She was glaring at me. "You're coming home."

"I don't want to."

"Leah, this is stupid," she began, and I felt a rant coming. "I get it, you want company every once in a while. I'm sorry for not providing that for you and being so focused on other things, but sneaking out? You do remember who I am, right? Who Colby is? You're a target because we care about you, so you can't go wandering off on your own."

I pressed my lips together trying to form a response. Angry Rebecca was normally impossible to deal with, but this one... I wished I could have seen how she used to be, how she used to handle things. Everyone talked about how different she was now and that she actually acted mature. But a part of me wanted the irrational Rebecca.

My arms crossed over my stomach as I peered over my shoulder at Luca. He was still standing where he was before watching the door with apprehension. He couldn't see Rebecca, so he didn't know what I was talking to, what I'd brought to his apartment.

"Leah." Rebecca's pleading voice drew my gaze back to her face. "Come on, come back home with me? I don't want you travelling around out here alone."

"Um, this is kinda awkward," Luca muttered behind me, and Rebecca glanced briefly at the door shielding her from his view. She gave me a look.

I turned to Luca. "Yeah, sorry. I did say I'm not supposed to be here." A nervous chuckle slipped out of my throat, but Luca seemed too distracted by the floor to really notice. "I'd still like to... to be friends, though. If you want?"