224 - Rebecca

We lay on the couch almost naked after spending some very alone time together. There was only a blanket over the top of us, covering our bodies, but it wasn't too hot because of Colby's cool skin. Besides, I'd be willing to face the heat if I got to have his arms around me like this.

Anything from the ceiling to the small windows had been stared at by now and I was running out of things to examine, so I turned just my head toward Colby to see him and I asked, "Why did you bring me to Hawaii?"

Colby's eyes flickered between mine for a couple of seconds, like he wasn't sure whether to tell me the truth or a lie—I hoped for his sake it'd be the truth.

"Because," he started, tracing shapes on my bare stomach beneath the blanket, "I wanted some time with you, for us. And I know you're going to need some time to yourself to... think about everything, then you can use me as your personal ranting audience." He smiled. "I'm here to help you out, as well as to get some time alone with my fucking gorgeous girlfriend."

I giggled without being able to stop it, then pressed a kiss to his cheek. "I do need this, I just wish a little that I could've said goodbye to the girls at least. I don't know if Katrina's okay."

"She is," he promised.

"But we haven't said goodbye."

"Everyone knew leaving while you were unconscious was for the best. You could have hesitated or fucked up the plans in general, and I couldn't have that."

"So you kidnapped me," I laughed, shaking my head. "How sweet of my boyfriend to kidnap me."

"Hey," he murmured as he hid in my neck, "I did it for both of us."

"Sure," I teased. I was quickly forgetting about all things reasonable, though, because he was lightly kissing at my neck and driving me insane.

When he pulled back, we made eye contact. "You need to know that killing Julian won't make you feel better, you still need to mourn and have your time, okay? Revenge doesn't solve anything, it just gets rid of one problem. In this case, at least."

"I know," I whispered; I still felt all the rage I had before, only it had simmered into annoyance that I'd ever had to go through any of this.

"You remember I'm here to listen to your rants," Colby reminded me. "I don't give a shit if you want to talk about the girls or cute boys, or if you wanna talk about something more serious." He caressed my cheek. "I'll hear it, do you understand?"

I just nodded, unable to do much more than that. He gave me a smile, about to kiss me, but I held him back and twisted around in his arms. He was now laid on his side leaning almost over me. I didn't mind that my chest was poking out from the blanket. "I didn't get a chance to tell you that I love you before, Colbs."

"You don't have to tell me," he muttered, glancing at my lips. "Now is there a reason you didn't let me kiss you? I'm offended."

I laughed, leaning toward him only to pull back at the last second. He growled at me lowly, tangling his fingers in my hair as he dragged my body up to his.

"That was uncalled for," he said.

Looking between his eyes, I replied, "It's way into daytime now. You should be going to sleep." I paused, realising something. "Can you even sleep in a bed here? The windows are all upstairs in the bedrooms."

"I can sleep in a bed here," Colby told me. "Just not the two rooms you might've seen up there. Do you see that glass door?" I looked over the back of the couch at the sliding glass door next to the dining room table, which I realised had a shelter over it. "That leads to a set of stairs going up, there's a bedroom with no windows at all at the top of it, and a hallway to the other bedroom."

I frowned. "Why? That makes no sense."

"This was used as a bed and breakfast at one time," he explained. "Your room was used as the owner's bedroom, whilst the guests just had to go through that door and up to get to theirs."

"And the walled room?" I questioned.

"Walled it after I bought this place."

"You-" My voice cut out as I stared at Colby in disbelief. He'd bought this beautiful home in the middle of Hawaii... and decorated it with colours like white and orange?!

I supposed you couldn't exactly use dark colours as the sun would eat you up, but still... white?!

"Maybe some day in the future," Colby continued as he stroked my hair, "we'll live here, just for a little while. Away from the others. We're bound to get fed up of them eventually."

I felt a weird moisture in my eyes at the thought of that. Colby would be willing to, for the second time, ditch all of his friends for a while just to come here with me, and for some reason that meant so much more to me than it should've.

"You won't ever get tired of me?" I asked him, my voice quiet like a mouse.

He grinned. "Are you insane? I know I said I didn't want you to be a vampire, but I'd love to have you around forever. Did you forget how important you are to me? You are my universe, Becks."

Staring at Colby silently, I could've sworn something got lodged in my throat. Maybe it was my heart or my fucking uterus for all I knew. I couldn't stop staring at that face of his, so happy and honest. This was his place to be, where he'd never be happier. Not only had he shared it with me but offered it to me in the future. It would be a future I was excited for.

"Hey, Colby?" I uttered. He hummed in response, lost in his examination of my face. "You know how I don't get emotional over that much?" He slowly nodded, his brows starting to furrow. "Well I'm gonna fucking cry and you're not going to tell anyone. Got it?"

A smile came over his face as a tear escaped from my eye, falling down my cheek soon followed by another from the other side. Colby reached up and cupped my face so he could wipe away the tears with his thumbs, whispering, "I fucking love you, Becks."

I broke again, this time purposely falling into his cool, smooth chest and just letting the tears fall. I clutched onto him for as long as he would let me, giving out all of the emotions I'd refused to for a short while now.

This trip was for me to find myself after years of concealing the woman inside, whilst it was also for Colby and I to finally grow into a pairing that wasn't so demanding of each other, one where we could work together without a speech to force the other to submit.

It hadn't seemed possible, once upon a time, for me to ever reach this side of my life, but a series of both fortunate and unfortunate events had led me here.

And I had to be grateful for all of them, even the saddest of them all.