A Start

"He's dead."

"What?" Sam asked, his eyes unblinking.

Sam's transition from his calm demeanour to his frantic self was almost instant. "What!? How!? There's nothing to indicate that he.."

Ray stepped in the room, heading towards the window, focusing his eyes on the sunny view outside. From the 10th floor, the hospital's garden centered in between the three wings of the hospital could clearly be seen. Some patients with their caregivers or visitors almost customarily spent their visiting time there.

"I'm sorry."

Sam dropped the plastic full of snacks on the floor, he felt as if the world was spinning, he gripped the rails of the bed which once laid a man he didn't even know the name of. A man he wanted to know the name of.

"But.." Sam found it hard to get the next words out of his mouth. His lips were moving but no sound can be heard.

"Are those snacks for me?" Sam heard a voice from behind him. He noticed a sly smile on Ray's face as he straightened his back and turned.

There he was, with a smile the way Sam imagined it would look, sitting on the wheelchair with a nurse behind him, pushing him into the room. He breathed a sigh of relief before turning his back again while gritting his teeth.

"Fuck you Ray."

"What? Oh, you mean this one? This one is fine, he has been pestering me for a few days now. I thought we're talking about the old guy from this bed here, pheww that one is beyond saving." Ray walked towards the snack on the floor and picked them up before he took his seat on the dead man's bed, making a sad expression while opening up one of the variety packs.

"You fucking idiot! I almost-"

"What? Almost what?"

Sam was starting to believe that his friend really wasn't capable of having feelings. Why am I still his friend again? "You..Urgh nevermind!"

"Ehem, doctors. I have already sent him for tests and scans. The results will be sent to you as soon as possible."

Sam scratched his head for forgetting to maintain proper manners in front of the other two people in the room. "Thank you."

The nurse who was still behind the wheelchair hunched her back and added, "Do you need me to help you up the bed?"

"Uhh, it's okay. I can manage." The young man answered with a smile. Sam unconsciously smiled too.

Sam and Ray bowed a thank you to the nurse as the nurse took her leave.

"So, you are my boyfriend?" The man asked looking directly at Sam. He narrowed his eyes trying to get a better look at Sam, who was standing against the blaring sun from the window.

"Huh?" Sam retracted his smile.

"Dr. Ray said that a man named Sam is my boyfriend."

Ray shrugged his shoulder, "Yeah, I forgot to tell you, he kinda lose his memory. Cool right? Like in the movies."

Yeah, like how you forget to tell me I now have a boyfriend? "What else did you forget to tell me Ray?" Sam was not shocked of the fact that he lost his memories, it's pretty common after brain surgeries and would usually subside after a few days or weeks.

"That he almost becomes a charity case after being assaulted by the police and kicked onto the street for not paying the hospital bills? Yeah I know, don't mention it. I used your card anyway."

Right, Sam forgot that the man's accident was not yet settled. They couldn't pinpoint the exact cause of the accident and thankfully no one else was injured. But to be without any identification would be seriously bad.