To No End

Sam stopped his car in front of a curved swallow-tailed roofed house with a large wooden door. He looked at the sleeping man beside him, hesitant to wake him up. They had been strolling the whole day around the old street, walking up and down the stairs, eating street foods as they did. They only stopped out of Sam's concern for Shu Yi's legs.

Sam looked outside his car's window on Shu Yi's side to see the clear sky had started to change colour. The orangy hue fall upon Shu Yi's cheeks of which Sam decided to softly poke with his index finger. His body leaned in to unbuckle the sleeping man's seatbelt.

"Shu Yi~ We're here."

The second poke did it.

"Home?"

"Kinda."

"Hm?" Shu Yi's brows knitted and his lashes fluttered as he opened his eyes to meet Sam's.

"I'm this close to carrying you inside." Sam made a 'little' gesture using his fingers with a wide grin on his face.

"Aw!" They both exclaimed almost in unison as Shu Yi accidentally bumped Sam's head as he abruptly straightened his back.

"I'm sorry."

Sam laughed as he stroked his hand over Shu Yi's forehead. "Silly."

He leaned in closer to open Shu Yi's side of the door, pushing it opened from inside the car.

Sam's eyes met Shu Yi's again, he glanced over the man's lips only mere inches from his.

"Where are we?"

Sam inwardly shook his head to rid of his sudden desire and pulled his body back. He hastily exited the car, leaving Shu Yi's question unanswered. He took out a set of keys to open the door to the partly vines consumed house, set atop the cascaded Taiwanese traditional neighbourhood which trailed the hill of Ruifang in Jiufen.

He waited as Shu Yi got off his black Evoque and helped Shu Yi up the front steps in front of the heavy door. Upon entering and passing through the entranceway of wall storages, one of which they used to store their shoes, they climbed a set of low steps to end up in an open-planned living/bedroom.

"Yours?"

"Mine." Sam said with a smile as he lifted the covers to the furniture. He was relieved that he had the place cleaned at least once a week. The interior of the parquet floored house was the opposite of its outside facade and Sam intended it to look that way. Sam extended his hand to pull Shu Yi's towards the back of the house, a path hidden at the back of the mason fireplace wall which leads to the balcony.

Sam unlocked and opened the wooden sliding door to reveal the view from the top of the hill, encompassing the Jiufen city, eco parks and the higher mountains of Jilong and Keelung. It was closer than the view they had this morning. The balcony was connected to a wooden stairs leading to the forest below.

Sam was glad that it wasn't too late. He bought the house solely for this reason. The sun was almost asleep, half-shielded by the tall mountains and trees, the burning sky spanned gloriously in red. It was not long until the sun fully dipped into the horizon, fading out the view of the wispy clouds.

"The view is priceless, I can only guess the house would cost nearly the same." Shu Yi continued, breaking the silence, unknowingly also breaking the train of thoughts in Sam's mind. Sam remembered spending almost a year repairing and refurnishing the whole house. He initially planned to do it all on his own but realistically, paying others to do their jobs were the best advice Ray could've given him. The look on Shu Yi's eyes paid off the sleepless nights he had before deciding to pay for the used-to-be run-down house.