Epilogue - Part 4

Sam walked out of the emergency ward after talking to the doctor in charge. He stopped his steps and watched the man who was looking down, sitting on one of the empty chairs outside the ward. He cleared his throat and walked towards the man.

"Zi Hong, how's your head?" Yu asked as he jumpe to his feet. His eyes frantic as he circled the man to look for any other wounds.

"Just a bump."

"I'll drive." Yu offered as they took the lift to the parking lot.

"No, I can still do it."

There were plenty of cars there but not one person can be seen except for the both of them. The sounds of their footsteps echoed throughout the basement parking; for anyone else it would be eerie but for Yu, nothing could be scarier than the face Sam was wearing, an expression Yu believed he had never seen on Sam before.

"Are you mad?" He asked as he hastened his steps to follow behind Sam.

Sam wasn't answering, so he asked again. "Why are you mad?"

"Let's talk tomorrow." Sam finally answered when he finally reached the car. He opened the passenger's door for Yu and turned around to go towards the driver's but Yu stood on his way.

"What did I do?"

Sam drew in a long breath, the bump on the back of his head was pulsating. "Nothing. Let's just go home first."

"I'm not going anywhere until you talk to me." Yu had no experience in such situation before. He neither could remember a time when Sam was this serious with him nor did he wanted to believe that his Sam wouldn't talk to him.

But Yu should've listened to Sam when he said that they should talk later. Nothing good ever comes out of an action out of temper. Slamming the door that he just opened shut, Sam talked as he was requested to. "You purposely enrage him, divert his attention towards you, risking yourself in the way, for what? To save me? Did I ask you to?"

"Do I have to be asked to help you?"

Sam was quiet, not because he didn't have any answer to the rhetorical question. Instead, he was restraining himself from blurting out regretful words. He only looked at Yu with a solemn expression.

Seeing that the man was quiet, Yu added, "I was worried. He was holding a knife and you're already on the floor. I know you are easily stronger but-"

"It's not about who's stronger. He's holding a knife, exactly! Why would you anger a man like that? The house is small, there's a dying patient on the floor, a sick grandma on the side and you decided to be a hero."

"Sam! You know that's not my intention. I was just trying to help you. I did help you right?"

"Well, how about you stop helping me and start helping yourself instead. You're picking up enemies everywhere. A dog barked at me and you threatened the houseowner to kill the dog if he didn't keep it leashed. And the director, you went with your friends and dug up his secrets and forced him to resign. Not everything is done through aggression, Yu. People talk, discuss. I didn't wait for two years just to have you back with more enemies."

"The dog didn't just bark at you, it bit you! And the director, he deserved it, he is the definition of a trash, he cheated on his wife, took bribes everywhere and he tried to get your license revoked. And to be fair, I did talk. I didn't hurt any of them."

Sam sighed rather audibly. He swallowed all the words he thought would just make things worse and said with a croaky voice, "Right, you're right. Let's just leave it." He attempted to go to the other side of the car again, and again, he was stopped.

"Is it so wrong for me to worry about you, Zi Hong? Do you want me to stop then? Caring for you?"

"That'd be better." Sam said without thinking. His gaze was fixed to the pitch black parking lot on the opposite site, not bothering to look into the eyes of the other man.

"I can't believe you Sam." Yu's eyelashed fluttered as he tried to keep his tears in. He looked for traces of regret on Sam's eyes but Sam only looked angrier.

"That man earlier, do you know how many times has he went in and out of jail? Do you want him to try and kill you too? Is it not enough that we have to still live cautiously everyday in case some of Machida's ally come and look for you?"

Yu took a step back, his jaw clenched. "Is this you telling me that you're tired of living with a guy like me? That I just bring in troubles? Do you want me to leave then?"

Sam's head swayed left and right, devastated. He rubbed his forehead and finally looked at Yu right in his eyes."Haven't you been listening, Yu? Or are my words no longer important to you? Do you think I stabbed myself in the heart, instead of letting that bastard shoot me in the back , to have a slight chance to live, just to actually live and worry about you getting harmed every damn second? Don't you think about my worry too? What.. What if they hurt you?"

"Then so be it, I don't care anymore!"

"You.." I'll die if you die, Yu.. Sam gritted his teeth, he just knew the 'talk' wouldn't go anywhere. He nodded, signalling he had enough and roughly opened the door again, He pushed Yu to sit inside, relieved that the man wasn't resisting. Their drive home was as quiet as the dead night. It was suffocating at best.