Distracted

Three weeks later, everything seems to return like the way it used to be. No matter what had happened, the house was filled with colourful eternal moments that were always fresh in Sam's mind. He bounced the hospital hallway to ride the elevator after his last appointment ended, looking at the list of things Shu Yi had asked him to buy on his way home. His mouth turned up, reminded of the too excited man planning for their first time hosting a dinner, even if its only for Ray and Chih Tian. Shu Yi doesn't have many people in his life anyway, and Sam felt like 4 people in his house was already way too many.

While back in the apartment, Shu Yi was busy checking on the marinade he had prepared the day before and cleaning the already spotless house. After the break-in, Sam had made sure to replace and repair all of the broken furniture and things while keeping the overall layout mostly the same. Shu Yi was filleting a salmon cut when he heard a creak coming from upstairs. He tapped twice using the back of his finger on the phone that he had rarely used to see that it's already half past 6 in the evening, he smiled at a text from Sam saying that he was already on his way home, some ten minutes ago. Shu Yi was happy but there's still a slight guilt in his heart. How could he be this happy? How lucky was he to meet someone like Sam? At the lowest point in his life, Sam was there to pick him up, even if not to lead him the way, Sam by his side was more than enough.

He glanced towards the empty living room behind him, thinking that Sam should be home soon. He really needed that black pepper he had asked Sam to get. But what was that sound just now? Just that thought managed to send shivers down his body. It's nothing, he thought. Sam had already installed an alarm and a camera by the front door, if anything, the alarm would have rang by now. He steadied his heart, stopping whatever he was doing on the cutting board, looking straight onto the blinking timer on the cooker hood in front of him. With every blink of every seconds on the fiber glass display, he noticed something behind the reflection of his own eyes. He knew Sam was too smart to sneak behind him while he was holding a knife. He flipped his grip of his Chef knife to hold the knife sideways and ducked as soon as the he heard swishing sound nearing his neck.

The cry of agony and pain followed soon after as Shu Yi slash the intruder across both of his kneecaps. He immediately elbowed the man who then fell on the floor with a loud plod. Twisting the man's hand to his back, he immediately noticed the blue koi tattoo on the man's arm, a symbolic of the second strongest Yakuza family in Japan.

Clap. Clap. Clap.

"You're still good huh."

Even among the high pitched cry out of pain from the man now under his foot, he could hear the cynical tone in the voice coming from a man walking down the stairs from Sam's home office. It was a voice he dreaded on hearing since the day he lost everything. He never would have thought that even the language of his own kind would send him back to those painful memories.

One by one of the black clad men showed their face in front of Shu Yi. Shu Yi knew, he knew that he'd be found sooner or later but he always prayed for more time.

Shu Yi bit his lip, angry at himself for being careless, something he would never have done a few months ago. He wanted to just snap the neck of the man under him but he believed Sam would not appreciate a body or two in his kitchen. He increased the pressure on his foot to restrict the airway of the soon fainting man.

"Leave." Shu Yi growled, lightly bending his knees with his legs shoulder apart. He backed himself close to the stove counter, tightening his grip around the knife in his right hand which he had raised below his chest. His glaring eyes darted between the three men in their attack stances from his front and sides.

The conspicuous man on the lower end of the stair leaned against the stair wall with his legs crossed, he gave a lopsided grin.
"You know I can't do that. Not when you look so happy to see me, Yusuke. Oh, I mean, Shu Yi. What a cute name."

"Thanks, I actually liked that name. Now, will you and your minions please, fuck off." Yusuke sneered with a mocking grin.

"Aww, why so grumpy, love? I might think you don't like me. I thought I'd stay for dinner. I miss your cooking anyway. Oyabun must've missed it too. Too bad he-"

"Machida, when will you stop? Why won't you leave me alone?" Yu hissed to the man while keeping his guard up.

"You know why Yusuke. You of all people know best! You-"

♪♪♪
♪♪