This Ray

Two years before

Sam woke up with a heavy and painful sensation on his chest, a few days after. He looked down to see his chest all bandaged up, the sound of the machines beeping beside him was more than familiar. He rubbed his eyes and looked towards the door where he heard the muffled sound of Ray's voice before the door was opened. They were the same detectives investigating his break-ins before.

He watched as Ray stayed outside and closed the door to the room. It was then that Sam found out everything; who Yu was, why Yu was lying to him, why people wanted him dead among many others. He also found out how Yu initially agreed to be placed into witness protection in return for his agreeing to help the police take down some bad people and how Yu changed his mind upon meeting Sam.

"He'd rather die than live without you."

"What the hell happened to you?!" Ray asked as soon as he got into the room upon seeing the police left.

"And Shu Yi? Where is he? Is he okay?" Ray asked more as he pulled a chair to sit by Sam's bed, not before he shoved a glass of water in front of Sam's face.

Sam rubbed his sore chest upon hearing the loud voice. "Tone it down a bit, will you? Are you trying to kill me?" Sam was feeling exhausted after talking with the police but he was glad that he had Ray to talk to.

"Well, then saving you would be pointless isn't it?"

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Many thanks. But you could've come sooner." In all seriousness, Sam was thankful. He knew he could count on Ray to save him. He didn't know if Ray would come in time but he took his chance. He took his time to tell about the night to Ray. Since when did he ever hide anything from Ray, anyway.

"You fucking idiot! You hackwack! You stabbed yourself? What were you thinking!? You! I can't, give me a second!" Ray left the room after throwing a short tantrum but he returned just after less than a minute.

"What? Miss me already?"

"No! I have something else to add. The next time you want to off yourself, tell me. So I don't help ruin your plan. And also, who do you think you are? David freaking Blaine? Do you think by learning medicine all these years, you would surely be able to stab yourself in the chest without actually stabbing your heart!? What did Shu Yi feed you? Stupid pills!?" Ray went out again. For longer the second time around. He came back with a can of soda in his hand and a couple of snacks after ten minutes, just in time after Sam was given another dose of painkiller.

"You done?"

"Yeah. Sorry. I kinda forgot you're sick."

"I'm literally on a hospital bed in a hospital gown, and we are in a hospital."

"Yeah, exactly. So, what is your plan now? Revenge? I'm so in." Ray ignored Sam's nag.

"I don't care about revenge. I just want Shu Yi.. I mean, Yu safe. I don't want to be the reason he's not getting the protection he needed. He won't get into the program because he met me. So I'm guessing I have to get out of his life." Sam knew he wanted the same thing as the police; for Yu to get into the witness protection program. It would be risky, testifying against big people took a lot of times and efforts as well but he thought Yu should at least try.

"How?"

"I just have to stay dead."

"So, that's why the police reported you dead to the media?"

"But they say it won't be forever, just until they catch all that's involved."

"So, a few weeks."

"I heard that it involves the whole of japan, part of China, Taiwan and other countries in east asia."

"More than a few weeks then."

"Yeah."

"This is stupid Sam, why can't you just talk to him. What if he did something stupid like stab himself in the chest?"

Sam rolled his eyes. "I thought about that too, you think that would work? I mean, talking to him." Sam hadn't had the chance to think of the consequence of his action but it was the best route he could take that time.

"Umm, I don't know. That boy is head over heels for you." Ray said as he munched on his snack, offering some to Sam who obviously declined.

"How do you know that?" Sam knitted his brows. He knew Yu loved him but hearing it from someone else was making Sam's spirits flew high.

"He told me. You know? The secret. During the time I bring him around the hospital."

"Really?"

"Stop grinning, you idiot. You're supposed to be dead." Ray smiled too, he couldn't help but feel glad that Sam was out of any danger. The moment he found Sam laying on a pool of his own blood inside the apartment, he felt hopeless. He didn't even know how Sam could do what he did. But, seeing the man smile in front of him made him think of what happened as just a really bad dream. A dream he didn't want repeated, ever.

"Yeah. I have a lot to plan for that."

"Putting that aside, how cool is Shu Yi! I'm glad I was so nice to him." Ray was itching to get into the topic and one minute was as long as he could hold it in him.

"I know right!" Sam responded gleefully.

"He's a freaking ninja!" Ray marvelled as he jumped to his feet out of excitement, some potato chips fell off the floor from the sudden movement.

Sam adjusted his back on the slightly reclined bed as he stressed, "He is not."

"A samurai!"

"Ray."

"I'm so jealous. I wish I could be his boyfriend instead. But on second thought, I'd rather not have an ugly ass scar on my chest. Would totally ruin my beach look."

"Fuck off Ray." Sam's eyes went heavenward. He just knew that Ray would use that to make fun of him for at least the next five years.

"You can't speak like that to your doctor slash your life saviour." Ray threw the ow empty chips bag and placed his hands inside his doctor's coat pockets, smirking at his friend.

"Fuck off, please. Dr Ray."