Partial

***TRIGGER WARNING***

————————————————

"What?" Shu Yi hated it. He hated that he was now at the evil's mercy. He knew he would not like the answer but he wanted Sam save, untouched.

Clang.

Eyes wide, Shu Yi shuddered at the five inch blade thrown in front of him. The reef-knot of the red paracord around the handle was stained dark all over. It could be dirt, it could be the sign of usage over time but Shu Yi knew exactly what it was. It was blood and it was Machida's. He gritted his teeth and his jaw trembled with it. He should've ended Machida's life, he should've pulled the knife and stab him again. He shouldn't have let pity clouded his judgment.

"This man or your brothers."

"I'd rather kill you."

"Again? Hahah. Too late."

Sam was shoved to walk closer towards Shu Yi. He faltered his first few steps before he finds himself less than two feet from the face he thought the world of.

The now slightly distant voice from behind him continued. "Pick it up Yu, seeing you using a kitchen knife pains me."

Shu Yi shifted his gaze at the double edged steel blade. He looked into the eyes of the man standing so close to him. Sam's brows pulled together but he was still smiling. Shu Yi smiled back, like he always did. Who could resist that smile, Shu Yi thought. It's the smile that brightened up his peering darkness.

"Do it, or I shoot him. Your choice."

That's not much of a choice. Sam bent down to pick the knife near his feet, it was not too light and not too heavy. The phoenix motive engraved along the thumb rise complements the red so well. Seeing Shu Yi up closer, he knew he was scared. The quivers of his lips and his misty eyes reflected in Sam's eyes. Sam handed the knife to Shu Yi by its hilt before a trembling hand took it in his hand, dropping the bloody knife he had used previously with a loud clatter on the floor. "Yusuke. It's a nice name." It's the first time Sam had ever uttered the name in his life but it felt familiar, it felt like a name he could call forever.

Yu shook his head, feeling his throat tightening by the seconds, "Shu Yi is way better."

"No it's not. I like it. Yusuke. Yu, is it really your birthday today?"  Sam was answered with a nod from the flushed man. "I'll remember that. I'm sorry I don't prepare any gift."

Sorry? In what world would he be worthy of Sam's sorry? Yu looked away, swiping his hands at his eyes but the tears came gushing down any way.

"Will you two give me a break? Is this a drama or what?" The man sighed. "I'll help you make the decision Yu. I know you won't give up your 'family', so why don't you get this over with? You know me, Yu. I'll kill him myself even if you don't. I'll kill him even if you kill yourself first."

Yu was again looking at the knife, he regretted everything. He shouldn't have used Sam's kindness. They shouldn't have met each other. He should've been dead in that accident. He shouldn't have tried to be happy. He was too greedy, Sam made him greedy. He jerked as his cold fists were enclosed in warmth. Despite everything, the deep set eyes looking at him was showing no sign of anger. It was still the same look he got the first time he laid eyes on him after his coma.

Sam again glanced at his wrist, the time was going by too slowly today. He kept calculating all the risk and outcome of whatever course he could decide to take but it always ended with one of them dying. He couldn't have let that happen to Yu. He looked around the barely moving men on the floor, thinking what a badass of a boyfriend he had the pleasure of having.

"How many brothers do you have? Will it take long for me to butter up to all of them?" Sam said with a bitter laugh. Sam guessed and he unknowingly guessed it right. It was him or Yu's brothers, as the man called Machida said.

Yu grasped the handle of the knife tighter inside his hand within Sam's grip. The knife never felt more foreign. He remembered the joy in his heart when he received it as his 20th birthday gift. The proud face of the old man that watched him grew was forever printed in his heart. The man that gave him a family before Sam did.

He saw the man standing behind Sam had already raised his gun higher, obviously aiming for Sam's head. "I'm waiting, lovebirds."

Right. Sam gave him everything. When he was left alone to fend for himself, Sam was the only person by his side. Yu wanted to be selfish for once, he wanted to be happy. He wanted to live till his hairs grown white with the man in front of him. "I'll give you what you want!" Yu cried out as he saw Machida already started to pull the trigger. He leapt forward in an attempt to push Sam away from the gun's direction, ending up in the man's embrace instead.

But the sound he heard wasn't of a bang.

Yu blinked his tears away, watching as Machida lowered his gun and gave him a nauseating smirk. He heard raspy voice whispering in his ears.

"No, give him pain instead."

Warm liquid trickled down his hand. The warm grip around his hand loosened as Sam's body fall heavier against his. The knife. It took Yu a few seconds to notice that his hand that was hanging by his side just then was now on Sam's chest. He steadied his legs to hold onto the man, taking out his hand only to see it red.

"Li.. Lin Zi Hong. You.. No. No. Please. No." Yu slowly lowered Sam with his back on the floor, his head on Yu's thighs. He could no longer feel the pain of his fractured ribs. The phoenix engravings on the white steel were buried deep inside Sam's chest, colouring his white shirt red. Yu's trembling hand caressed the pale man on his cheek, watching as life lumbered away from his eyes. 

"No please. Don't leave me. I.. I can't.. Please. Lin Zi Hong.. Stay.." Yu quavered in between sniffles.

Sam used the last ounce of his energy to raise his hand towards the crying man's face. He tucked Yu's hair behind his ear before pulling the back of his neck to place a kiss on his lips. Yu's lips were burning as compared to his. The stab that he caused on his own was initially painless but with time, he could feel the cold of the blade in between his flesh, followed by an intense burning that spread all across his upper body. He felt like all of his body's sensory receptors were now focused on that one area, making his face and legs cold and numb.

With a smile, Sam broke the short kiss.  His face was wet from the hot torrents of grief of the other man. The choking sobs were getting louder leaving Yu in a dishevelled heap. "Don't  you dare die on me Lin Zi Hong. It's my birthday! I.. I'll die too. How do I.."

Sam's field of vision was starting to become dark. For a moment, all the pain he felt vanished into thin air. He couldn't feel anything anymore. It was a moment of bliss. In his eyes, the face of the man he loves was starting to be engulfed by a ring of light. The ring was getting smaller and smaller. With a half-opened eyes, just before his vision went fully dark, Sam whimpered, "Live.. Live because I love you. Because in life or in death, I love you."