Oh Boy

Shu Yi has gotten a lot better, Sam thought as he walked down the stairs, again caught sight of the young man in the kitchen early in the morning. It has been over a month since they started living together. Sam let out a made-up coughs as he came up behind the man, it had become a practice since Sam noticed that Shu Yi gets easily startled when someone sneaked from behind him. He remembered almost being a human pork chop the last time he decided to jumpscare the man.

"Wait, let me just finish this."

"You are pretty good with knives." Sam praised as he took a bite into the sandwich prepared on the table. The way he saw it, Shu Yi must have been a pretty good cook, probably professionally trained evident by his agility around the kitchen. His cutting skills were even more impressive.

Shu Yi just turned his head and smiled at the comment. "Have some apples." Sam was fed a piece of apple as he scrolled through his iPad, reading some information on his patients, still standing. His focus was then shifted towards the hand now around his neck, tying the black tie he had beforehand slipped into his shirt pocket. He lowered his Ipad out of the way, watching as the man's lashes fluttered with every movement he made with a piece of apple in between his lips.

Why doesn't tying a tie take at least 10 minutes?

"Thank you." Sam said as Shu Yi made final adjustment to the half-windsor knot.

"How are you today? Have you remembered anything? Your name, maybe?" Sam added, out of the one sided tension he was feeling. He noticed the smile in Shu Yi's face slowly turned sour.

"I did."

"Really.. What is it?" Sam asked, stupefied by the slight disappointment in his heart. His eyes followed as the man put on his jacket over the new grey turtleneck Sam had bought a few days ago.

"That my name came from some handsome-but-not-really guy on TV."

"Oh, right. That." Sam hastily put on his socks trying to brush off the chilling topic.

"I'm coming with, my last appointment is today at 10." Last? Sam was glad that their frequent walks in the park to some degree had helped Shu Yi's recovery.

"With me?"

"No, with the cute physiotherapist."

The drive to the hospital only took 20 minutes despite the morning rush. Unlike their usual car ride, Sam's mind was too occupied to make small talks.

"Wait for me after you finish, I'll bring you home around noon."

"I can take the train."

"Just wait for me." Sam walked towards the opposite building to his office, bumping into Ray on his way. Normally, Sam would go for a jog at dawn and catch the train to the hospital to have his shower so he had rarely met Ray outside of the building but he had been neglecting his routine since Shu Yi came to live with him.

"A long face so early in the morning?" Ray asked as he pressed the elevator's call button on the wall. Sam walked into the elevator, not bothering to answer.

"Got into a fight with your boyfie?" Sam scowled as he looked around the full elevator, some of which nurses and doctors he knew personally.

"No such thing." Sam said as he exited the elevator at whichever floor it stopped.

"Hey, you got off the wrong floor."

"I know." Sam went through the emergency exit to climb the stairs to his office, apparently Ray decided to join him for his impromptu morning exercise too.