14 | Daughterly Instincts

Ada's Point of View

Ada's Point of View

I couldn't remember for how long I wailed on the floor after I had kicked Jack out of the room. Even as I limped down the hospital's corridor while dodging occasional doctors and nurses that passed by, my knees ached like I was still crying my eyes out.

My venture stopped right outside Room 120. I didn't need to knock or ask for permission to enter, it was a given that I'd spend time inside no matter what. I shoved the door open, and my eyes landed upon my dying mother.

'Just the head of your mother remains now, beloved. You have one last chance left.'

Of course, she was hooked to various machines as usual, and the heart monitor beeped to keep me informed on the condition of her heart. A nurse was standing nearby her with a clipboard in hand, and he scribbled something on it.

"Good evening, Ada." He, or Marvin as I had got to know him, called out over his shoulder. He finally turned around to face me, but his enthusiasm dropped upon taking in my appearance.

Never before had my expression been this impassive. As I walked in my mother's direction and positioned myself beside her, my face remained to be the empty canvas it was.

"I heard what happened. Captain told me about Ryan." Marvin began softly, his kind eyes flashing sympathy, but I was too out of it to say something or even spare him a look. "My condolences are with you. I'm always here for you in case you ever need anything, okay?"

I huffed dryly when a small smile crept on my lips.

They all say that, but no one ever means it. We've been alone, and we always will be.

It seemed that Marvin had gotten the hint from my lack of interest in his bullshit. He hesitated, but then walked away from me and out of the hospital room. I waited to hear the sound of the door being closed shut before I returned my attention to Mum.

Silence enveloped us both, save for the beeps the heart machine chirped out. I mustered up the courage to finally speak to her.

"Ceasar just sent me a message, do you know? He's inviting our entire precinct to a formal dinner of sorts, to appreciate our efforts in keeping this city 'safe'" I found myself telling my mother like I always ranted to her, as if she would ever respond.

To my complete and utter surprise, she did so this time.

The heart monitor picked up its speed. It became more alive, and my eyes followed the movement of her fingers when they twitched. I stood frozen to my spot, my chest feeling cold instead of warm at seeing my mother wake up.

I leaned my rear against the edge of the bed, and simply watched her. I watched and waited. Her lashes fluttered and she blinked a couple of times. Dark brown pupils shone from inside the barely open eyelids.