Chapter 1

Chapter 1 Aelin POV

"Aelin, Sam. Good job getting Baba Yellowlegs." Arobynn said from his chair in his office.

Elide sat in the corner on her laptop. Her blue light glasses perched on her nose. It was only because of her we discovered Baba was a spy for the Cadre. Why Baba was doing it for them while she was one of the matrons none of us could figure it out.

Sam said from beside Aelin, a grim look upon his lovely features. "It was too easy. It was like she knew we were coming and just. Surrendered to her fate."

"They all know what happens to traitors in the witches kingdom. She probably thought we were doing her a mercy. Which you and Aelin were." Elide said without looking up from her screen. "We're getting a video call from Manon." With a few more clicks across her keyboard Manons face pop up on the tv.

Manon sat there glaring at Aelin. Asterin and Sorrel flanking her. Asterin was always a wild spirit who always found the joke in a serious situation. She sat there with a gleeful smirk across her mouth. Whereas Sorrel was the stone that held the trio together.

"Explain yourself." Was all Manon said as an introduction.

Aelin easily slipped into her nonchalant demeanor while dealing with other mafia families. "Manon, you should be thanking me. We discovered a spy in your inner circle. And we took the liberty of disposing her for you. So. You're welcome you ungrateful witch."

"You know how we like to deal with our traitors Galathynius." A deadly smile ran across her face. "What do you want in return?"

"Now why can't I just do a simple favor for a friend?" She said scoffing.

"You? Doing a simple favor? Unlikely. " Asterin deadpanned.

"Fine you caught me. There is a small thing you could do. It's very simple and won't be a big deal at all."

Manon rolled her eyes at Aelins antics. "So it is a big deal. What?"

"Let Ansel of Briarcliff through your roadblock to let our product through. And I'll tell you who Baba was spying for. We just don't know why. We didn't really get that far in our little conversation..."

Manon and Sorrel started swearing as Asterin started laughing. Manon said. "Gods damn you Aelin. Out of everyone you could have chosen for this fucking task you choose her. I hate you. And I hope you die a painful death."

"Excellent. She'll be coming through next week." Manon just glared and shut off her screen, cutting the connection off.

Aedion and our parents then decided to stroll into Arobynns office.

"Excellent, you're all here." Said her father. " we've come with an update on the yearly Gala. This year it will be in the Southern Continet. Being hosted by the Khagans Family. And you all will be attending."

Never before had all of the heirs been in the same room. Normally only her and Sam would go or Aedion and Elide. But never the four of them together.

Aelin hesitated but asked her question anyway. "Is that smart? Having all of us in the same room as the other families?"

Evalin her mother replied. "We've been assured that the gala will be neutral territory for all. If any harm comes to a family member it will mean war against that family."

She looked over at Aedion. He stared back. "We will all be there on a nonfatal mission. Scouting. The Cadre will all be attending."

Suddenly it all made sense. The Galathynius Family might have been the most notorious in Erilea. But the Cadre were just as infamous as them on their on continent. They rivaled us at every market for black market substances. They were our constant competition.

"What do you need me to do?"