22

Chapter 22
Lorcan POV
Before the explosion hit them Fenrys had tackled Rowan to the ground to hopefully protect him. While Fenrys had Rowan pinned down Rowan was screaming Aelins name.

Elide and Ren had tears streaming down their faces . Sobbing quietly. Lorcan had used his body to protect them. He watched Elides face as she was processing what just happened. Her face went from shocked, to sorrow to absolute fury. Then she glared at him. Ren had dropped down to his knees.

The explosion finally settled. But Fenrys didn't let Rowan up till the last of the dust and debris settled.
Rowan shoved Fenrys off of him. And charged at Gavriel and Vaughn.

"What. The. Fuck. Who gave you the order to do this? Because it didn't come from me."

Lorcan helped Elide and Ren up then stood in front of them. Blocking Vaughn's and Gavriels view of them. But their sole attention was on the heir.

"It was Maeve. The Galathynius needed to be dealt with."

"This truce between the two families was only a short term agreement. What did you expect to happen once the bomber was caught?" Vaughn added.

Rowan looked furious.he was about to rip into them when a rock clattered to the ground.

The walls were falling down. Slowly. But still falling.

Rowan opened his mouth once more but Lorcan shoved him towards the door. He bared his teeth almost animalisticly.

"Not now. We need to get out of here before the roofs collapse."

Rowan shook his head. "No we need ro see if they survived."

Connall took pity on our heir. "Rowan. That blast has enough power to shatter shatter- proof glass. There is no way she survived." Rowan reluctantly looke around the destruction. Coming to the same conclusion he only nodded his head.

Gavriel clasped him on the shoulder. "Good. Now. What to do about the remaining family?" He motioned to Elide and Ren.

Rowan looked over to them. Then he looked at Lorcans protective stance in front of them. The heir cocked his head slightly to the side.  "We take them hostage. Elide there is next in line. We can use them as leverage. And they provide an example."

Rowan POV.

In 30 minutes. The entire Galathynius family had been killed. Along with their most trusted followers. Rowan. Was furious that Maeve had went behind his back. Fury was the only emotion he would let himself feel. Because the other emotion brewing in him was something he couldn't let loose in front of anyone.

The cadre were silent has they headed towards the helicopter. Vaughn held a gun to Elides head as she went through the precheck flight list. The tears she had let loose had already dried. Now it was clear she was murderous. No doubt the small woman was already plotting a way to get revenge. Gavriel sat beside her as co pilot.

Once up in the air they could see the full destruction. An entire wing was missing and the rest of the estate was smoking as if on fire. In the distance they could see lights and hear sirens.

Rowan. Tried to convince himself Aelin had somehow survived. Something as trivial as a bomb couldn't kill her. But looking down. What little hope he had left. Disappeared. So. With one last glance downward. He left his heart in the ruins of the house that could have been potentially his home.

Elide POV.
When Aedion and Aelin had come of age they had requested updates and improvements to each and every room of the estate. Considering the estate itself had been a couple of hundred years old. It was understandable. But there were features added that only Aelins future court knew of, such as a secret bunker hidden in the interrogation room.

For now she and Ren wouldn't say anything. But with all the luck in the world and the gods favor and will. Aedion had gotten himself and Aelin in the hidden bunker. For the wall they stood against every time they were in that room had thesecret door.

While Elide adjusted her headset she discreetly touched her earnings. Which held a tracker in them. When Aelin and Aedion got the all clear. They would come for them. And take revenge.