23

Chapter 23
Aedion POV

They were pissed. Aelin sat in the corner with silent tears streaming down her face. Her twin eyes too him were set aflame though. He knew she was planning her revenge.

Their bunker that they luckily had installed had an annoying security feature that would not unlock the doors for 24 hours. That was the only downfall. So Aedion and Aelin took shifts in sleeping. No one could get in but it was a habit to sleep in shifts.

"Aedion." Aelin whispered to him. " Rhoe used  blanks for Lysandra. I asked him to use blanks for her and Sam beforehand. I knew that Arobynn would have mulipitated them into his own scheming. But. But the bombing wouldn't have let them survive?"

She'd known what Lysandra meant to him. To her. In another life he believed Lysandra would have been his mate. Yeah her intentions were wrong and she should have came clean sooner. But he understood she was fearful of what would happen to her. Yes the Galathynius execution was brutal. But Arobynn would have tortured her....

"Thank you. Mom and Dad wouldn't have survived that either Aelin..."

"I know. And now they believe us dead. Elide would be expected to pick up the mantle. But she'd know better. So we need to get to them as soon as possible. Her and Ren need to survive. And Meave needs to die."

"So tell me dear sister of mine. How do you plan on doing that?"

Aelin gave him her brilliant smile.

Rowan PoV

They were currently standing in the "throne room" of their mansion. Rowan was watching Connall beat Ren to make Elide talk. But Elide was tight lip. She would not even make a sound as Ren was beaten to a pulp in front of her.

Maeve watched silently. Waiting for the young girl to crack. She'd only asked one thing of Elide. And that was the code to their organization. That code would give Maeve the access to all of their shipments, accounts, workers. Everything.

The way that Rowan understood it. Each member had their own code. So deeply ingrained in their conscious that they could only recall it when someone above them in the succession line is dead. With Aelin and Aedion dead the next in line to rule the family would have been Elide. This is where the explanation Fenrys found for muddled. Somehow the code only got remembered if the one above them heart stopped beating.... It was strange and exciting new technology. That Rowan knew Maeve wanted to get her hands on.

Connall landed one last blow before Ren passed out. 

"If this carries on for too much longer I'm going to have to bring out Cairn, Elide. And you should know what he does."

This. This was another thing Maeve had kept from him. Cairn was the most vicious and vile person he'd ever worked with. He never would have approved of him joining their cadre. But then again. After meeting her... he'd admittedly gone soft. Before he wouldn't have objected to this sort of treatment of their rivals. But now? Now he could barely stomach being in the room.

Their fire alarm started going off. Lorcan pulled his tablet to look over security footage. "There's a fire in the eastern wing."

Only Rowan seemed to notice that Elide had finally broke her calm demeanor. And a small smile broke out across her face. He tilted his head in confusion. But then it clicked.

Aelin and Aedion had survived. And they'd come to get their family back.

Authors note.

I'm so so sorrry about the late update. We got the cold then we started renovating out house finally. Also. My infant child does not like naps. So it's been hard trying to find time to write. Because I used the time where she napped to write. She's a little gremlin lol.

But here's a short update. I also had already written the some of the next chapter and just had to figure out how to get from point a to point b so to speak. But then I went out of my outline and messed some stuff up so I had to figure out how to clean it up. Hopefully I fixed it. Soooo there it is!