16

Chapter 16
Aelin POV

She allowed herself one night to grieve. To cry and scream. He had betrayed her. She knew deep down. It was the only explanation. But she needed him to confirm it. Needed to hear it from his own mouth what he had done.

Sam was the love she'd dreamed of.

Elide and Ren were searching through every face database they had to try and look for Sam. But Sam had been trained right along with them. So he would have known how they operated. How to avoid detection.

That would only mean that they needed the cadre to look for him. But that would mean going to Rowan. Asking Rowan for help.

She had been foolish to try to make a move on him. Even though she could see the lust in his green eyes. She'd miscalculated. Misunderstood.

She was Aelin Ashryver Galathynius. And she would not make another mistake. She was Heir to one of the most notorious families. She could do this.

So the heir grabbed her laptop and started to hunt.

Aedion POV

He was worried about Aelin. After she'd cried and screamed in her room it went silent.  It when he peaked in her room to make sure she was still there. He saw her on her laptop. Eyes locked in on the screen. Her face was focused. So he knew she was up to scheming.

He went down to the office of Rhoe and Evalin. He'd been called by them to discuss something important. He knew what it was before he even walked in.

Rhoe was going over shipping plans with Evalin. He knocked on the doorframe to get their attention.

"Son. Please have a seat."

"I'll do it." There was no need for pretense.

"Do what exactly?" Evalin asked. Aedion had always liked listening to her read to him and Aelin. Her voice was soft and musicical.

"I'll find Sam and end him myself. We all know Aelin won't be able to do it."

They looked at each other having a silent conversation. He hated when they did that.

"That's good to know Aedion. But that wasn't what we called you for." Rhoe seemed stumped. "You know why Aelin is the heir and not you correct?"

Of course. How could Aedion forget it. Aelin had always been the choice for heir. Even if she didn't know it. He'd known it all his life. He was meant to back her up. Protect her. Be her right hand man. Her second in command. He was never supposed to lead over her. It just didn't seem right .

Then he accidentally came across a damning document. An adoption document.

He had always wondered why he didn't have Galathynius as a last name. Especially being the older of the two. Evalin and Rhoe had just claimed they had given their names to each child. But Aelin still had Ashryver in her name. So that explaination wasn't right. No one questioned it though.

Aedion was still an Ashryver but adopted. Evalin sister Helene had died a month after giving birth to him. The Cadre had killed her. But back then it was only Maeve, and Gavriel. Then a Whitethorns or two.

He was told that Helene had procured a damming document against Meave but was killed for it. His birth mother was a spy instead Maeves inner circle. But she ran when she become pregnant. Hiding the pregnancy, only informing Evalin of it. So when Helene had been murdered Evalin adopted him. Passing him off as hers and Rhoes first born.

Evalin continued. "Well. We just got word. Aedion I'm so sorry. But I've known who your father is this entire time. And he's coming to help the cadre."

"Okay... so am I supposed to ignore his existence while he's here?"

Rhoe answered before Evalin could. "No. No. We want something very hard for us to ask... we need you to get close to him. So see if you can slip in and gain his trust."

"Gain my biological fathers trust... for what purpose exactly?"

"To kill him. He's the one who murdered Helene all those years ago...."

His father had killed his mother.

Authors note.
I just posted the first chapter of my high school au. Please go check it out!!!

Also what are your thoughts so far? Any theories as to what is going to happen? Just saying I do hope I keep shocking y'all every chapter!