Chapter 3 - The School

(Artwork by Th3Unkn0wns)

Six followed closely behind Mono as she watched him look around. She looked over to the side, seeing dozens of tall lockers. Some of them were opened but had nothing inside. She tried to listen for any signs of life in the hallway, but all she heard was the sound of Mono's steady breathing. Six trusted Mono, he saved her from being murdered in the giant's shack but wasn't sure if he trusted her.

She didn't even know what he looked like, his face being hidden from her at all times. He told her it was to protect his head, but she had doubts about that being the true reason. Maybe he didn't trust her enough to reveal his face? Six didn't blame him, she didn't even trust herself. If she were to rip off the bag from his head right now, she would most likely completely lose his trust. She decided she would just wait until he'd reveal his face to her himself.

They continued to walk down the endless hall of lockers and white wallpaper, unsure of what they would find at the end of it. Mono glanced behind himself, making sure that Six was still following him. While he was doing this, Mono stepped onto a wooden floorboard that was slightly higher than the other ones, producing a loud creaking sound. Mono instantly turned around and looked up to see a metal bucket attached to a rope on the ceiling swinging down right toward him. Six instinctively grabbed onto Mono's trench coat and pulled him out of the way, the bucket missing the two of them barely.

The bucket crashed into the ceiling, causing wooden debris to fall and creating a loud sound. Mono sat down against the wall and looked over at Six, not knowing how to express his thankfulness.

"Thank you for saving me for like the tenth time..."

"I think I still owe you a few." Six said, smiling, sitting down next to him.

"For what?" Mono asked, confused.

"Well, you did save me from the giant's shack. I thought I was going to be trapped there forever..." She responded.

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you even end up there in the first place?" Mono asked.

Six let out a sigh and reluctantly began to explain. "I was walking through the forest one night and-"

The sound of skittering footsteps in the far distance set them both on edge, now realizing that they were not alone.

"Explain later," Mono replied, standing up. "we've got company."

Mono held out his hand for Six, which this time she accepted, standing up. They turned to face the noise, spotting several silhouettes of humanoids with slim limbs and strange-looking heads along the walls, twitching around spastically, then running away and disappearing into the shadows. Mono began to run after them, but Six grabbed his hand and pulled him back before he could do so.

"Stop for a second!" She said, holding Mono in place.

"Why? It might be people who need our help!" Mono asked, trying to pull away from Six.

"Who do you think set up that trap that almost killed us just now?" Six said, attempting to reason with Mono.

"Alright, fine..." Mono mumbled, calming down.

"Whoever they are, they probably don't like visitors." Six responded.

"I'm not sure if they get very many, this city seems completely isolated." Mono looked down, noticing Six still had a firm grip on his hand.

"Uh, you can let go of my hand now." Mono said, laughing a little.

"Oh, sorry..." Six replied, embarrassingly pulling her hand away.