Chapter 20 - Separated

(Artwork by Th3Unkn0wns)

Six froze in place, her eyes widening as Mono's face contorted into pure hatred. She didn't know how to react, this Mono was a completely different person. She took a step backward as more and more dark electricity sparked around the boy, his hair floating up and his eyes turning darker than night as he bared his teeth. Six saw tears dripping from his face, which made the situation even more confusing.

"Does he know it's me? Is he being mind-controlled by his dad?"

She pulled her raincoat's hood down, trying to make her facial features easier to see.

"Mono... it's... it's me, Six!"

"QUIET!"

She quickly complied as her words were only making Mono even angrier, putting her arms out in front of her, desperately trying to get Mono to calm down. Six's heart hurt at the sight of Mono crying, but she feared for her life at the same time. Her mind raced with thoughts of whatever went down between him and his father when he went back in the tower as she began to blame himself for letting him do that.

"WHY!?"

She gasped as the floor beneath them cracked, regaining her balance by holding her arms out to the side. Six had had enough of this, she wanted her Mono back.

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?"

"YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!"

She desperately searched her thoughts, what had she done to him?

"God... what did I do wrong!? It was going so well, and now..."

"Mono, I honestly have no idea what I did. Please, just calm down, let's just talk this through!"

"I CAN'T DO ANY TALKING WHEN I'M DEAD, CAN I?!"

Mono inched closer, taking a step toward her. Six took a step back, realizing that she was quickly losing him.

"Is it something your father told you?!"

"HE SHOWED ME EVERYTHING!"

"Mono, you're going to SERIOUSLY believe your father after what he did to you?!"

"NO! I FELT IT! I WATCHED YOU DROP ME! YOU STARED AT ME AND SMILED AS YOU LET GO OF MY HAND!"

 "WHAT!?"

"You're saying I... I betrayed you?!"

"I'M SAYING YOU RIPPED OUT MY HEART FROM MY CHEST AND STOMPED ON IT, THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!"

"LISTEN TO ME! HE'S LYING TO YOU! WHATEVER HE SHOWED YOU, IT'S ALL A TRICK!"

Mono turned away, Six catching her breath as sweat formed on her forehead. She got closer to him, but not too close so she wouldn't get electrocuted by the zaps of dark energy that danced around him.

"I can't live without you, Mono... why would I betray you?!"

"Because you're just using me..."

He sat down, hugging his knees as guilt overwhelmed Six listening to his muffled cries. She had successfully calmed him down, but he was still mad at her, his back turned away from Six.

"Mono... I... I'm sorry if I haven't been a good friend to you lately, but... the last thing I want to do is use you. You have to believe me."

The electricity that once zapped around Mono slowly disappeared, giving Six a chance to get closer to him. She reached a hand out toward him, intending to gently place it on his shoulder, but Mono got up onto his feet again, quickly walking away from her, puddles of water splashing as Mono stomped through them, the sky continuing to pour down with rain onto the city.