3. Will You Adopt My Child?

H-how can you do this to your own child? ~Jungkook

~Jungkook

3 years ago
Seoul Hospital, Seoul
Jungkook pov

"Dr. Jeon Jungkook, Dr. Yeongji has appointed you in OT-3 just now. They are going to perform a c-section within 5 minutes. Dr. Taehyung can't attend it right now so please report there in his place" the nurse said, shutting the staff room door behind me.

Keeping the phone aside, I gulped down some water and rushed into the OT.

Time skip
Operation theatre

In the changing room, I was washing my hands alongside Dr. Yeongji when she explained the case briefly.

"Dr. Jungkook, it is a preterm case with a gestation period of 26 weeks. Mother is quite weak. If we, by any chance are able to deliver the baby successfully, it's gonna have a really hard survival."

"Yes doctor, I went through the reports thoroughly. Foetal health wasn't good from the very beginning but... we gotta try our best. "

"Yeah... All the best doc."

"All the best to you too."

With that, we went into the operation theatre, hoping to save the patient.

The surgery was quite stressful. Our hospital was famous for handling challenging cases such as these really well, especially the gynaecology department headed by Dr. Yeongji.

As the doctor held the baby in her hands, we all waited for the first cries.

To our horror, there was no voice.

"Nurse! Bulb syringe!"

She suctioned the infant's airways. Though it was showing some movements, but still there were no cries.

"Let me handle the rest" I said, taking the baby from her hold.

It was a boy. Being an extremely preterm infant, his features were somewhat underdeveloped. His small and warm body supported against my hands felt lifeless.

I needed to save him at any cost.

Rubbing his back constantly, I whispered under my breath, "You can do this!"

Surprisingly, a feeble whining was heard. At that instant, every doctor and nurse present in the theatre felt much relaxed, smiling at the baby.

Before leaving for NICU with a paediatric nurse, I held him closer to my chest like a guardian.

You don't have to worry at all, I thought.

Time skip
NICU