Chapter 16- Essence

—————

Kirishima tried his best to heal.

He really did. He always knew he had to eventually leave this building he currently lived in, to get back up and moving, to make sure nobody had a slightly pained look in their eyes every time they looked at him.

Above all though, he knew he had to save people like him in the organization. And in order to do that, he couldn't stay weak anymore.

He thought he was making a slow recovery. The doctors said he was healing, so Kirishima assumed it would be alright.

But then he learned that he was doing it wrong. 

Bakugo hated him. 

To Bakugo, he was just a broken, lost soul occupying another person's body. A body that wouldn't and would never be his.

That's what he learned when listening in to Bakugo's conversation. 

So... why did Bakugo visit him? Why did he comfort Kirishima by putting a blanket over him when he broke down? 

He didn't want to think anymore. He was too overwhelmed by emotions already. Why couldn't things just be plain and simple?

Kirishima lifted the blanket he was lying under, looking up at the completely dark ceiling he was laying under. It was so hot underneath, but too cold when he removed it.

He thought to Bakugo from earlier, a tight feeling suddenly welling in his chest, along with a burning feeling forming in his eyes. 

Kirishima ended up completely taking off the blanket, and instead just letting the cold air breeze over his body. 

His curtains were closed, making the room completely dark. Kirishima placed his hand over his heart, feeling his chest slowly rise up and down.

There was too much on his mind, a frenzy of thoughts blurring through his mind. He told himself to sleep, to just calm down already.

Taking in a deep breath, Kirishima searched through everything in his brain for something that could help.

But no matter what, everything trailed back to Bakugo. His happy thoughts, bad thoughts, the blond is where he found most of his emotions.

Kirishima was so weak.

The redhead closed his eyes, thinking of the tiny fragments of memories he could put together. He felt happy thinking of them, despite not being able to fully understand what was happening there.

Some of the friends that visited, he could vaguely see their faces among the broken shards. His family was there sometimes too, their voices echoing like they were underwater.

Suddenly, he didn't feel so cold anymore, like some mysterious force was warming up his body. He didn't remember when his consciousness faded away.

. . .

"...-shima?"

"...-iri..."

"Kirishi..."

"KIRISHIMA!"

"GAH!"

Kirishima bolted awake, rocking back and forth in his chair unstably. Towering over him, Ashido smacked his head playfully. 

"Jeez, don't just sit there forever! Today's the day!"

"The day?" Kirishima frowned. Suddenly, realization washed over him like a tidal wave. "Oh crap! Today's that day!"