Chapter 40- Wick

—————

It felt good, stepping into that hallway. Kirishima met with the secretary, satisfied with Bakugo, ready to meet his other friends.

"Are you finished talking to him?" the secretary asked. Kirishima nodded. "Great, do you want to go back to the other hospital? It's getting pretty late."

Kirishima shook his head. He wanted to talk to Iida first. It didn't seem like he was around, though. "W-here did my friend go? Do you know?"

"Ingenium?" the secretary guessed, frowning. "He said he was going to leave you with some privacy and go visit some other heroes that were hurt in the raid."

"Are they... in here?" Kirishima asked.

"I'd have to go ask," the secretary said, scratching his head. "Do you want me to?"

Kirishima was about to say yes. Getting answers was the entire reason he even came to the hospital, with the bonus of being able to check up on Bakugo. But would they, his friends, also be exhausted like Bakugo? He didn't want to disturb them.

And it was okay if he had to wait a little longer, because once they were better, they would come over to Kirishima and talk to him. He would ask them the questions, and they would answer with comfortable ease. That's something Kirishima loved about his friends. 

At the same time, it also made him a little sad, knowing that his friends were like that, while the only way Bakugo ever told him more than nothing was when he was high on hospital drugs. He would need to wait until Bakugo was better to have a more proper conversation. He hoped that that time would go okay.

But for now, he just had to answer the secretary's question. With a grateful tone, he said, "I'd l-ike that. Thank you. I only want to meet Iida for now."

"Sure. I'll need you to come with me for a while though, because I can't let you out of my sight and I need to go to the front desk," the secretary said. "I hope you don't mind."

"I'll go." Kirishima complied.

"Great, come with me," the secretary said, and they started walking together. "We've got no time to waste!"

His eagerness brightened Kirishima's mood. The redhead was so glad the secretary was letting him do this, and if he were being honest, it surprised him a bit. He didn't know the secretary would be so willing to let him visit his friends.

He decided to express it verbally. "Thank you... for this," Kirishima told him. "I'm happy."

"That's my job," the secretary smiled. "Well, not really. But anything to help our patients get better."

"It helped." Kirishima helped.

"You know, your progress is going really well so far," the secretary said. "Give or take a few months, depending on how long it is until the organization is captured, you might be discharged."

Kirishima froze. 'Discharged?'

The secretary turned around. "Kirishima? Kirishima, are you okay?"

Kirishima blinked himself out of his stupor. Discharged? Didn't that... didn't that mean leaving? Was he even ready to leave? Where would he go? 

Gulping, he faced the secretary. "Do I... have to leave? I don't... want to."

The secretary was silent. "Oh," His face softened. "Kirishima, leaving is proof that you got better. And proof you got better means being able to lead a more normal life. Doesn't that sound better than being confined in the ward, for the rest of your life?"