Chapter 26- Origin

—————

Bakugo had racked up a lot of grief over the years. Five years in the span of an entire lifetime didn't seem like a lot, but to him, it felt like an eternity.

During that time, there were some things that were lost when he locked himself away. Human connection was one of them, he knew that, but all the little aspects that made it up were faded. Perceptiveness was one of them.

Maybe if he used his battlefield mindset where he was one-hundred percent focused on the enemy, he could've caught the little things he missed. He felt dicey a lot of times, but he always thought he paid attention well.

He did not, according to life playing in front of him. He knew traumatic events cause many problems, but missing something like Kirishima's much more sluggish movements on some days was something he thought he wouldn't miss.

It turned out a ban had affected him more than he realized.

"Hey, Eiji," he said one particular day, after a lot of the cleanup from the business had been down. "you look like s---. Don't spend so much of your energy trying to stay awake when you obviously want some damn sleep."

Kirishima mouth parted in surprise, showing some of his sharp teeth. He had been blinking and rubbing his eyes a ton, which Bakugo easily noticed. 

He wondered if that had happened before. It seemed so easy to notice, but had he ever really paid attention that much? Did he really want Kirishima's attention so much that he ignored it?

"S... S-Sorry," Kirishima mumbled. He flopped down sideways, head hitting his pillow. "W-Wor-ried..."

"Everything's f------ fine," Bakugo said, getting up. "We're not some s----- weaklings who can't take care of a few extras in edgy hoods."

Kirishima rubbed his head against his pillow in a nod. "I k-know... ju-st want t-to h-help..."

"If you want to," Bakugo said, looking down. "then it'd be really f------ useful to tell us something we don't already know. Like what the hell they're even doing."

He wasn't expecting much of a reaction out of that, but it looked like something in Kirishima suddenly clicked. Immediately, he got up.

"Hey, weren't you super f----- tired just now?!" Bakugo shouted, pushing Kirishima back down. "Take care of yourself first, S----- Hair!"

"O-Oh..." Kirishima muttered, lying down. "S-Sorry..."

"Not your fault, Eiji," Bakugo grumbled, leaning back. He started to leave. "I'm outta here. And make sure you get some f------ sleep!"

His hand reached the doorknob, but for some strange reason, he didn't turn it. Something felt... weird?

He looked back, realizing what the problem was. Kirishima didn't exactly look comfortable in his bed. He was frowning, shutting his eyes more tightly than necessary.

Bakugo internally scowled to himself. Ripping his hand off the doorknob, he made his way over to Kirishima. Then, softly, he adjusted the covers.

Kirishima peeked his eyes open a bit, blinked, and then closed his eyes once more at the sight of Bakugo. He relaxed, letting his muscles loosen.

Bakugo crept out of the room afterwards, swearing to hell he wouldn't tell anybody he did that.

——

Information. Memories. Layouts, people, corridors, rooms. Everything that had ever been ingrained in his mind floated up, flashing at him.

Of course. He had so much more information in his mind than he gave out. 

'Like what the hell they're even doing.'

He knew what they were doing. He'd lived it. He knew about the horrible stuff they'd done in there. Too horrible. Kirishima knew he was lucky to even be alive.

He dug deeper into the warmth and comfort of the blanket, hoping it would protect him from the phantom feeling of sweat dripping down his neck and painful liquid being injected into him.

His eyes instantly shot open, into the dark room with light still peeking in through the curtain cracks. His eyes zoomed back and forth. He tried clearing his mind.

He could help. Kirishima could help with the information he had. Then people would be saved, Bakugo would look happier, and his friends wouldn't expend so much energy on him. 

It seemed like an amazing thing, and he wanted to jump out and write right then and there, but Bakugo's words lingered in his head.

Though he wasn't sure he would be able to sleep, with memories haunting him when he shut his eyes and the idea of helping everyone nagging at him.

While time ticked by, Kirishima slowly tapped his finger on his bed idly, careful not to move because the way Bakugo arranged the covers just felt so comfortable.

A squeak interrupted him, and he felt Hinansho jump onto the bed.

Are you able to sleep?

Kirishima waited a bit before responding. 

I want to, but it's hard. I want to help, but he said to rest.

Hinansho curled up next to him.

I want to try helping as well.

Thank you. I don't know what I would have you do, though.

I did infiltrate the hospital. I could probably do something with that skill.

Kirishima blinked in the dark, no ideas coming to him.

I don't know.

It might come eventually.

The redhead gazed at Hinansho's silhouette. 

Hinansho?

What is it?

Why did you come with me in the first place?

It was Hinansho's turn to be quiet.

I like humans, but I've never been able to communicate with any. They don't like creatures like me.

Oh.

I feel good knowing there's a human willing to communicate with me. Thank you, Kirishima.

Kirishima's lip perked up.

You're a good being too.

Hinansho squeaked.

Do you think you'll be able to sleep better now?

Yes, thank you.

You'll need it if you want to work with the human you like more.

And with that last statement, Hinansho jumped off the bed, scurrying underneath it. Kirishima was able to breath a little bit better, due to their conversation.

Yeah, he'll sleep for now. Everything that comes after, they'll get there, and make the world a better place.

—————

1010 words