1

"WHY CAN'T YOU JUST COOPERATE?! WE MOVED HERE FOR A. FRESH. START!"

"WE DIDN'T NEED A DAMN FRESH START! WHAT WE NEEDED IS FOR YOU TWO TO STOP ARGUING AND ACT LIKE A PAIR OF ADULTS!" I shout back at my mother, both of us just absolutely fuming.

"WHY COULDN'T YOU BE MORE LIKE YOUR SISTER? YOU'RE NOWHERE NEAR AS RESPECTFUL AS SHE-"

"Wow." I blink at the woman in front of me, cutting her off. "You are sick."

I storm upstairs- not even sparing my father, who was quietly just letting us fight, a look.

I grab my phone as well as my wallet before flying down the stairs.

"Hey. Hey! Where are you going?!"

I ignore my mother as I run out the house, just wanting to get away from her.

God I hope none of the neighbors are awake, although we probably woke them with our yelling. But if they see me running on the sidewalk that'd be so embarrassing.

I hear my parents shout after me but I run until I feel like I've lost them.

I finally slow to a walk and catch my breath. Gosh, it's kind of cold out here. I should have put on some pajama pants or something. Even though I'm wearing a sweater, the spandex I'm wearing does nothing for me.

"Why couldn't you be more like your sister?"

What a fucking joke.

I try! I try my best all the damn time, but no matter what I do it's never good enough. I studied hard, never dabbled in drugs or alcohol, didn't go to crazy parties, didn't even steal the car for a night. I tried my absolute best to be the perfect daughter.

I'm so angry.

My parents and I (mostly my mom) have been fighting for the past few days now. We just moved to Hyōgo in hopes for a 'fresh start'.

What that really means is that my parents have also been arguing really bad for the past couple of months so they think getting a new house where we can build new memories is the answer.

It's all just a bunch of bullshit.

"REI? REEIIIII?"

My eyes widen when I see a car turn down the street and hear my name being called from it.

Seriously? They're driving around?

I take off again as I look around frantically to see where I can hide. I gasp when I see a ladder at the side of someone's house as I run by it. All the lights are off, and it looks like no ones home.

If I just sit at the top of the ladder until my parents leave then it'll be fine, right? Worst case scenario is my parents somehow see me. Best case scenario is I fall off the ladder and die.

Thankfully they're driving so damn slow, so I have time to run over and climb up the ladder.

Just as I'm about to take the last step up, the window opens and a boy sticks his head out. Both of our eyes widen and we just stare at each other.

"Uh...intruder?" He asks.

"Refugee." I state matter-of-factly. "Safe haven?" I raise an eyebrow.

"REI? WHERE ARE YOU?"

I gulp as I hear their voices getting closer and when I turn my head I can faintly see their headlights.

"I'm going to need an answer right now, sir." I turn to the boy, my voice pleading.

He offers a hand and I gratefully take it. I can't see shit inside his room as the lights are off, but he helps me in.

I get one foot on the ground and I try to pull the other one in but the tip of my shoe gets caught on the windowsill and I lose my balance.