21

Awkward silence fills the room as Suna and I sit on my bed. I fiddle with my fingers, unsure of what to say.

He looks deep in thought and I don't want to interrupt him so I purse my lips and stay quiet until I can no longer take the silence.

"Are you mad at me?" I ask and he looks over at me.

"It's nothing to be mad at." He suddenly grabs me and pulls me into his lap, my back pressing against his chest.

I lean into him and sigh, feeling some sort of relief.

"I didn't lie. I just never said anything." I say and Suna props his chin up on my shoulder.

"How can you just not tell your boyfriend that you're some genius volleyball player?" He scoffs and chuckles a bit. "You totally held back on us when you played with Atsumu. You're fake."

The playful tone his words hold make me smile a bit and I clasp my hands in my lap.

"It's in the past so I didn't feel like I had to mention it." I murmur and then feel Suna place a small kiss to my neck. "And I'm not a genius volleyball player." I snort.

"You were the ace of your team and named one of the top 3 for females all while a first year. I think that's some sort of genius." He says and I crane my neck to kiss his cheek.

"I worked extremely hard. I wanted to beat my sister at something even though she was already gone by then. I wanted my parents to be proud, I wanted to hear 'congratulations' for the first time or 'I'm proud of you'. I trained for hours and hours every single day in middle school, and then I had to study for hours on end too. I wasn't taking care of myself, but at least I was producing results. Right?" A small frown comes onto my face. "I thought since I was getting recognized by the Volleyball world then maybe I'd finally make my mom proud. But she didn't see it that way. The better I got the more she thought I was going to throw my studies away so I had to quit." I roll my eyes, remembering how this had only upset my mother even further.

Suna wraps his arms tightly around my waist and I rest my hands on top of his.

He lets out a small sigh then sits up straight before talking.

"Did you like playing? Or did you only play to try and please your mother?" He asks and I think it over for a second.

"Hmm, no I did like it. Though a lot more once I got better." I chuckle a bit.

"Then you should play. I mean, it's too late to join the girl's team now but I'm sure they wouldn't mind you practicing with them. Then you can join next year." He says and I turn my head to look at him.

He leans forward and quickly steals a kiss before pulling away and smiling.

"And what am I supposed to do about the manager position? I'd feel bad just leaving you guys." I frown and he scoffs.

"Dude. We've been without a manager for so long. We don't need one." He says and then I deadpan. "I mean, unless it's you. We totally need you." He tries to save himself and I let out a small laugh.

I turn back to face forward before closing my eyes and letting myself fully lean against Suna for support.

Playing volleyball again huh?

Would they even let me? I'll be a third year. Maybe I can play it off as something like I had to take a year off due to familial problems. It's not technically a lie.

"When I announced my retirement..." I trail off, pressing my lips into a thin line for a moment as I look back on everything. "Tons of people began to reach out to me. I was getting offers from different high schools to go play for them, coaches wanted to coach me outside of school, and when I really didn't return this year I started getting scholarships. They thought maybe the problem was money. I never responded and the emails started to slow. I can't just...throw myself back into something where I let people down."