Chapter 28

"Ren! Any luck with Zed yet?"

A voice echoed loudly from behind him, sounds of multiple people running towards the boy. Ren, who had almost fallen asleep, jumped up. He looked around for his friends who he swore he heard.

There they were. False, Mumbo, Xisuma, and Bdubs.

Ren recounted them over and over again. Something just didn't seem right.

"Umm, where's Doc?"

He muttered, thoughts answering him he tried his best to ignore.

The group of four glanced at each other, waiting for someone to speak up. X took a seat and put an arm around Ren to calm him down for what he was about to find out.

"He... didn't make it out alive." Xisuma whispered.

Ren froze. Ten seconds passed, nobody making a move.

Ren sure was mad at Doc during this entire murder mystery, well most of it, but now that he was dead, his feelings changed. He obviously missed him.

"Why?" The boy whispered under his breath.

"Ren, everything's gonna be okay, don't worry." Mumbo assured, ruffling his friend's messy hair. Before he could even blink again, Ren was standing.

"Don't think you're getting away with this."

Ren threatened, stopping Infront of False. He shot her a glare before stomping off to the cabin.

"Was he talking to me?" False asked, confused as she passed Bdubs some gum.

"Pretty sure." Bdubs shrugged.

False crossed her arms and sighed. "What's up with him? Didn't he hate Doc or something?"

"I don't blame him, really. You are acting really odd these days."

Mumbo regretted what he had just said.

"You really think so?"

He stayed silent.

"Guys let's not fight-" Xisuma attempted, stepping between the two.

"Don't get into this, X." False hissed, slightly pushing him to the side. "Mumbo, just admit it. I know you turned that flashlight off on purpose, I mean they don't randomly turn off, do they?"

"But I was Infront of the group and Doc was behind- I couldn't have killed him!" Mumbo hesitated.

"Oh yes you could, you had the time because you had the flashlight and could turn it back on whenever you'd like."

"At least I wasn't beside Doc when he was killed!"

"Are you implying that I was? I was right beside you mumbo dumbo."

Suddenly, a squeaking sound could be heard as if a door was swung open. Everyone turned back instantly.

"What's going on out here?"

A girl in a lime green sweater yelled. Hand still on the doorknob, she processed what was going on. Stress was answered before she could even ask.

"Doc's dead." False spat out, clearly showing no mercy after witnessing Ren's hatred towards her. "We couldn't find Zed either, looks like Mumbo decided to go on a killing spree today."

"I- I did not!"

"Just admit it!"

As the two argued, Stress was still confused as hell as to what happened.

"Bdubs, zuma, what happened?" she asked.

"While we were looking for Zed, Mumbo's flashlight turned off for a few seconds. When it turned back on, Doc was dead." Bdubs explained.

Stress slowly nodded, squinting her eyes from an inconsistency.

"So what was the problem again? The batteries?"

"That's what Mumbo claimed, I'm not sure though." X shrugged.

Stress sighed and headed back into the cabin without saying a word. Xisuma followed. Bdubs wandered away into the nearby seashore, while False and Mumbo realized their argument wasn't going anywhere and apologized before leaving as well.

"Ten down, five more to go."