Chapter 31

Ren ruffled his friend's curly hair, who was entering a password to the server settings on his computer.

"So everyone who died respawned, right?" Ren asked a bit nervously.

"Yeah of course, I'm just gonna check up on the server." The admin replied, clicking enter on his laptop.

Incorrect Password

It read. He sighed and retyped it.

A blue screen popped up as everything began loading on the screen.

"I'm gonna go get something, nobody touch anything." Xisuma warned, exiting the area. As soon as he left, all the hermits shared the same thought and lunged to the computer. The page was filled with numbers and small text, so small that it couldn't be read without zooming in.

Suddenly, a big, red square tab popped up with neat, hot red text reading:

"Are you sure you would like to turn on Respawning?"

The group froze in terror. They slowly exchanged glances. The room was silent for a minute, each realizing what they had just read.

"RESPAWNING WAS OFF THE ENTIRE TIME?!" Bdubs screeched, falling out of the stool he was on just to fall backwards onto Stress, who had stopped choking on her grape juice from the sudden news.

"But how? Xisuma never turned it off...?" Stress added as she held Bdubs tight to calm him down.

"So... you're telling me that EVERYONE'S DEAD? FOREVER?!" Ren screamed, "WHAT IF I'M NEXT?! Where am I gonna go? Will I be alone?"

"It's probably just a glitch Ren, calm down. Xisuma will see if it's real." Mumbo explained calmly, taking him in for a hug.

Everyone stopped to face who had arrived at the entrance of the room. It was False.

"What's going on in here-" She attempted, but got cut off with someone shouting behind her.

"WHAT HAPPENED?!" Xisuma shouted, running into the room just to crash into the wall from the momentum he had built up. He looked around the room, confused. His mood changed when he noticed the big red box in the middle of his computer screen.

Xisuma mumbled the message, his voice getting slower near the end as False crouched behind him.

"Are you sure you would like to turn on Respawning?"

It read, again.

Xisuma slowly looked up. He stared at his friends.

"Who did this?" He simply asked, a stern look on his face.

"W-we didn't touch anything, the thing just popped up-" Mumbo stammered.

"I said WHO DID THIS?!" Xisuma yelled, slamming his hand against the table. The sound echoed throughout the room.

No one dared to say a word.

"WHO TURNED OFF RESPAWNING?!" He shouted, "NOW WHOEVER DIES WILL BE STUCK IN THE VOID FOREVER! AND WHO KNOWS HOW LONG RESPAWNING'S BEEN OFF!"

Xisuma lowered his voice.

"Listen, whoever here is against us, I honestly have no idea why you hate us. What have we done to you? Why don't you just leave us alone?! NOW ALMOST EVERYONE WHO CAME ON THIS STUPID TRIP IS DEAD! LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!"

...

"Oh, right, this is what you wanted."

To be honest, he was right. That is what they wanted, everything was going to plan. But X shouldn't act all too innocent, as he played a big part in it. Just not in a way he'd expect.

The room remained empty of sound. Xisuma sighed and began typing on his laptop.

"Can you maybe check when respawning was turned off? If there's an option, I mean-" Bdubs muttered, sitting down on a suitcase.

Xisuma didn't reply.

Bdubs tip toed behind him to see what he was up to. Xisuma clicked on a tab, opening a new screen, holding another green and black tab. Clicking revision history, X scrolled up and found a few revisions, one catching his eye.

[ 678 days ago ]

[ 340 days ago ]

[ 7 days ago ]

He paused and looked at the screen, and then at his friends.

"It was off ever since we set foot here."