Chapter 2

Impulse woke up to the sound of humming outside his tent. He got up and stretched, then walked out to see who was up this early. It was Tango. He was sitting on a picnic table, flipping through a large book.

"What are you doing up so early?" Impulse asked, unaware he startled the other.

"Reading this boring novel Joe recommended to me. It doesn't even have pictures, bleh." Tango rolled his eyes as Impulse laughed.

"Look at this thing, I stole it from Zedaph's bag yesterday!" Impulse started as he took out an oddly heavy navy blue book from his backpack, the two giggling as they began flipping through. "It's a.... dictionary?"

"Why did Zed even bring this-"

"The heck?? This is a spanish dictionary too!" Tango blurted out as Impulse stole the book from him.

"Tango this isn't spanish, it's russian. I think."

"Bruh this is chinese!" Tango yelled, snatching the book back.

"THIS ISN'T EVEN A DICTIONARY, IT'S A-" Impulse began, abruptly cutting off halfway through.

"It's a what?"

"The heck, zedaph's gonna sUMMON A DEMON?!" Impulse screeched, shoving the book in Tango's face. "LOOK!"

Tango took a close look.

"WHAT NO- THIS IS HOW TO TALK TO RACOONS!!"

"Wait, this is just the instructions on how to... fix a car..." Impulse mumbled, disapointed in himself and Tango.

Tango and Impulse glanced at each other in silence.

That was until the two suddenly bursted into laughter, laughing hysterically without knowing who was standing behind the two.

"What're you two up to?" A familiar voice questioned, startling the heck out of the them. "Wait that rhymes-"

"How long have you been listening?" Tango asked, nudging Impulse to hide Zedaph's book about who knows what before he noticed.

"Just right now, woke up to you guys rolling on the ground laughing."

"Same with me." Doc spoke up just as Xisuma unzipped his tent. Tango and Impulse looked at each other, both smirking for some reason.

"What's with all the screaming?" Cleo asked, still half asleep as she bumped into Ren.

"Yeah? I think it was Scar who was screaming!" Ren laughed, also still half asleep.

"You two were probably dreaming, nobody was screaming." Tango assured them, winking.

"Hey, that rhymes!" Ren giggled like he was drunk or something.

"That does!" Cleo added.

A suspiciously loud thump made the hermits stop their conversation abruptly. The sudden noise followed by a boy's quiet muttering.

The group, being curious, peeked through the tent they heard it from to see what was going on.

Due to Iskall's sleep talking, Mumbo woke up to the sight of him and his friend cuddling. He glanced around to see if anyone saw this, and sure enough, about seven people were watching him from outside the tent. Cleo, Zedaph, Impulse, Tango, Xisuma, and Doc were staring at him before bursting into laughter. Except Stress, who was kettle-wheezing.

Mumbo stuck his tongue out at them and got out of the tent.

As the laughter calmed down, another sudden loud noise could be heard in the distance. A loud, high-pitched, familiar scream.