Chapter 1-9

Saturday, September 18th. 2010

Michael slowly opened his eyes, awakening from the dream. His first thoughts were that it was just that, a dream, but he could still feel Visceria within him even after waking up. He was in bed, but it wasn't his bed nor was it Chelsea's. This bed was completely foreign to him. The walls were pure white with no decoration, only an old television hung in the corner on a stand. The news was on, something political that Michael didn't care about.

He knew where he was, a hospital room, the IV stand next to him gave that away. He had survived somehow. He looked up. Chelsea was sitting on a chair next to him, her head lying on her arms at the foot of the bed. She was fast asleep, still in her Hippo Friends pajamas. Michael realized that he was in a hospital gown. He decided not to focus on how he had been changed out of his clothes. Chelsea wasn't alone. Michael's dad was sitting in a chair a bit further back, his arms crossed, looking directly at him.

"Dad?" Michael asked. He just stared.

"Good to see you awake. Now tell me, what were you thinking?" his father asked, still looking darkly at him. "Chelsea told me everything." Michael was a bit shocked by his dad saying that. Before he went off talking about everything he just learned from Visceria, he had to confirm exactly what his dad knew.

"What did she tell you?" Michael asked.

"You were trying to impress her by being rebellious, laptop in the hot tub, you're lucky to be alive. You know we can't afford stupidity like this." His dad's glare stayed strong. Michael was only now beginning to realize the trouble he was in. Chelsea hadn't told him the truth, but rather a more believable tale. The only problem was this more believable tale put Michael at the center of the blame.

"I'm sorry." Michael was genuine with his apology.

"We'll discuss your punishment later, Michael." His dad didn't yell, but the tone of anger was there. "Right now I'm just glad you're okay. You know better than this Michael. Chelsea told me what the counselor said to you, and I understand what you're going through, but it's no reason to put your life at risk like that. I'm glad you aren't as bad off as Chelsea said."

"What do you mean?" Michael asked.

"When you first arrived Chelsea said you were covered with severe burns, but you seem fine now. I'm glad, even though this trip to the hospital is going to cost us a fortune." His dad stood up from his chair. "I have to get home, Abigail is by herself. Are you feeling any pain?"

"I'm okay." Michael was as surprised as his father. Given what had happened, he was in much better shape than he should have been. Chelsea stirred at the foot of his bed, beginning to awaken from her slumber. He wondered how long she had been there, and how long he had been there.

"Good. I'm going to talk to the doctor now, and explain why I have to get home. They want to keep you overnight for observation. Chelsea said she would pick you up tomorrow. You're lucky to have someone like her, Michael. She saved your life today." His dad departed after giving his final words on the topic. Michael knew his dad was stressed about money, and his antics with Visceria hadn't made things easy. Chelsea slowly lifted her head up, looking around.

"Sorry I got you in trouble with your dad. I just figured it would be easier than telling the truth." Chelsea said with a sleepy voice. "Now, do you want to tell me what happened?"

"It was Visceria, but she's gone now." Michael explained.

"So that stuff earlier, about her attacking you in the science lab, all that was true?" Chelsea asked. Michael answered with a simple nod.

"I'm sorry for not believing you."

"Don't be, if it were the other way around I wouldn't have believed you either." Michael admitted. Chelsea stood up from the chair, and walked up the bed to him.