Chapter 3-6

Tuesday, September 21st. 2010

Alexander and Satori sat together in the backseat of the car each avoiding eye contact with the other. Satori was still shaken, jumping at any flashes of light through the window. Given her past Alexander wasn't surprised. He stared out the window, wanting nothing more than to apologize. He destroyed the painting. No matter how often he told himself it was for a good reason he still regretted it.

Mr. Reynolds and Ms. Aoki were talking to them, but their words were empty. They were going to be dropped off at the hotel for the night while they talked with the exterminator. Given the chaos that had been happening in the city getting an appointment would prove difficult. To Alexander the ride was nothing more than a blur. The colors around him melted away and it was just him and Satori floating in darkness. He had felt a bond with her, and in a single moment, it had broken.

When they arrived at the hotel it was difficult getting Satori to leave the car. She was in an almost catatonic state. It was clear Ms. Aoki had dealt with this before and was able to assist. Alexander was recovering from the fright. It was just bugs, he told himself, nothing to be so frightened of.

But it wasn't just bugs, his inner mind argued. They appeared and disappeared so suddenly. It made no sense. All of the rules of physics that he had learned were tossed aside in a single moment.

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing." Alexander whispered under his breath. Life itself made no sense. He considered humans were nothing but animals in a fleeting dream, trying to make sense of an existence that changed the rules. What he had witnessed made him question everything. Whenever he got close to finding an answer it was pulled away from him. There were explanations. There was always a way to explain the unknown. Yet, this was different. To explain would be to concede that what he witnessed was an exaggerated hallucination of the truth.

"Alexander, your room." Mr. Reynolds interrupted his daydreaming. He found himself in the hallway of the hotel. "Your room and Satori's share a bathroom. I know it's not perfect, but it's the best we could get on such short notice. Ms. Aoki will be in the room across the hall if you need anything."

"Thank you." Alexander replied automatically. Ms. Aoki was helping Satori in her room, but Mr. Reynolds left Alexander to fend for himself. The room was the same size as his own. It contained a much larger bed, a television on a desk, and a closet. There were stands on either side of the bed both containing lamps, and a large window behind the desk that took up most of the wall. The bathroom door was open, and sure enough through the bathroom was Satori's identical room.

Alexander leapt in the bed and sunk into the foam mattress. It was an incredible feeling as he was feeling drained after the day's events. He stared upwards at the ceiling letting his thoughts take him once again, trying to make sense of the impossible.

"Satori is going to shower, so the bathroom door will be locked." Ms. Aoki stood in the doorway to the bathroom.

"Okay." Alexander replied. "Thanks for letting me know."

"Make sure you lock both doors when you go in too." She said before closing the door. Mr. Reynolds managed to grab some of Alexander's clothes so at least he would have something comfortable to sleep in. He checked them thoroughly for ants, but given how large the insects were, there was really no place for them to hide. Other than clothes Mr. Reynolds had managed to gather Alexander's schoolwork. He had no school in the morning, only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but was grateful regardless. He proceeded to do what he could without access to the internet.

Satori stayed in the shower for over an hour. It was odd as she normally took short showers, but given the insect situation Alexander couldn't blame her. Even he felt like showering as his mind attempted to convince him that there were bugs still crawling on him. He hoped the schoolwork would distract him, but it wasn't as effective as he anticipated.