Chapter 4-11

Friday, September 24th. 2010

The interior of the power plant was more organized than the abandoned geothermal plant Alexander had recently infiltrated. The main difference between the two was how clean the power plant felt. It was similar to walking down a hallway in a hospital. The walls were blaringly white and were highly illuminated from the fluorescent light on the ceilings. A green strip ran along the base of the wall, likely to indicate what section of the plant they were in.

Michael led the way while the others trailed behind. He seemed to choose doorways at random, but remained confident with his decision. Eventually they came across signs with arrows pointing out which way was which. The group decided the main power core was the best place to search for the spell.

"Lom, how are you holding up?" Alexander asked as the group continued its trek through the vacant corridors.

"I'm fine." He replied, despite not looking it. "I'm still getting used to using magic. I will add it to my training routine so I can push myself both physically and magically."

"Training routine?" Alexander inquired.

"If I'm going to be a fireman I need to be physically fit. Every day I push myself to my limits with an organized training regimen. I must make sure I'm at the peak of my physical potential." Lom explained.

"You seem to take this seriously." Alexander was impressed.

"I've been thinking a lot after finding out magic exists. I fear a war is coming, us against an onslaught of monsters. Just like fighting a fire, we have to keep it contained and the general public safe. "

"That's very noble of you." Brianna commented. "I wish I could be that brave."

"You seem brave to me if you wanted to do this." Lom shrugged.

"I wish that were the case, Heather is dragging me along. She wants me to record everything, not to reveal to anyone, but so we can look back and research." Brianna shook her head. "I really need to stop letting her get me into these situations. First the zoo, and now this. Why am I here?"

"There's nothing wrong with supporting your friend." Heather chimed in. "Besides, we'll be fine."

"We'll be fine? We're going to die here Heather, I just know it." Brianna looked as if she were about to sob.

"No." Alexander quickly jumped in. "We will not die here. If it comes down to it and everything goes wrong, I will get you out of here alive."

"What? Just her?" Heather scoffed pretending to be offended.

"Yes, just her." Alexander gave her an answer she wasn't expecting. "Out of all of us here, she's innocent. Michael, Lom, and I chose to fight. You are choosing the follow the same path. Brianna was roped along by your careless manipulative actions. If we're to lose the fight and die, so be it, but Brianna doesn't deserve it."

"Brianna may be playing the victim, but she wants to be here as much as I want to, even if she doesn't realize it." Heather scowled, this time genuinely upset. Alexander looked to Brianna expecting a rebuttal, but she remained silent, her gaze quickly lowering to the floor. He wanted to talk with her some more but that would be impossible with Heather around. Alexander decided to worry about it later as there were more important things to attend to.

Michael suddenly thrust his arm out, signaling for the rest of the group to stop. The doors they had come across in the halls so far were simple doorways leading to different stations. This one was different. It was a large door made from steel; at least Alexander assumed that's what the silvery metal was. There was a high security card scanner to the side. It appeared to be the only way to unlock the door. Fortunately opening the door or phasing through it was unnecessary. Something powerful had blasted the door off of its hinges, creating a large dent in the heavy steel. The group had to step over the door to make it into the room. It was on its side, pivoted upwards in the hallway.