Chapter 7-1

Monday, October 4th, 2010

For the first time in a long time things felt normal. There was no massive forest fire. That had finally been finished off over the weekend. There were no endless swarms of insects. No Eco Terrorists that turned out to be alien gods, and no secret underground company hunting them. Chelsea couldn't believe it. For the first time in a long time she woke up feeling fresh and looking forward to the day.

It was true the remnants of their adventures so far still lingered in the shadow. Matt was still out there with the ability to kill anything touched. But since he had both the seal containing the remaining spells and the ability to nullify them, no more spells would escape. At least, that's what Chelsea convinced herself of in order to keep breathing

After Thursday's battle and Brianna's subsequent death the only person in their group who showed up to school on Friday was Lom. Fiona assured them that Brianna's family would be informed of her passing and that what was left of Hyakume industries would keep the whole thing under wraps. It was a scummy thing to do, not giving them the real truth, but at least it brought some closure to her family.

"Matt isn't at school today." Chelsea told Michael. They sat together at their usual lunch table. "Neither is Damien, not that I've been looking."

"I'm not surprised. He said he wants to remake the world in his image. Talk about a god complex." Michael ignored Chelsea about Damien, focusing on Matt instead. "I think he's done with school."

"To do that he needs all one hundred spells in the seal. As long as you and the others have your spells he can't fulfill that wish." Chelsea explained.

"I know, that means he'll be coming after us." Michael groaned. "To think we almost had this magic stuff over with. It's annoying getting so close and not finishing."

"Sounds like our love life." Chelsea smirked.

"Maybe a year ago." Michael laughed.

The rest of the school day went by quickly. Chelsea kept expecting something to happen, the lights to flicker, the gym to catch fire. Anything supernatural, but nothing came. She felt like Simon, that freak who followed Michael around raving about ghosts all the time. If you were looking for it, anything could seem related to supernatural phenomena.

The only strange thing Chelsea noticed was Fiona eating lunch with Lom. She had two theories on the sensation. They were either plotting something together, or Fiona interrogating him. He was the mage she knew the least about.

By the time Chelsea got home she had almost forgotten about her internship at the hospital. Hector gave her a ride. As usual, her parents were out of town on a business meeting meaning she was home alone with Hector. He was like a second father to her, or maybe a first.

"I'll be back at nine to pick you up. Call earlier if anything strange happens." Hector had become overprotective since the first incident with Visceria nearly destroying their entire house. Chelsea hoped the calm of normalcy would at least last the rest of the night. After a quick text to Michael she waltzed into the hospital.

Unlike her first time in the hospital, there was no person waiting for her. She made her way to the locker room and changed into her scrubs. It was the worst part of this job shadow internship mix thing. She had to play the part fully which meant wearing the hospital uniform.

"Hey! There you are! Follow me I'm about to start my rounds." Camila the nurse spotted Chelsea the moment she was finished changing. She was the woman Chelsea was assigned to follow. She didn't try to hide her temperament about having to deal with what she considered a rich spoiled white girl.