Chapter 4-8

Friday, September 24th. 2010

Alexander and the others sat stunned by the ringing doorbell. Throughout all of Alexander's time staying there the doorbell had never rung. Nobody even knocked at the door.

"It's probably solicitors. I'll take care of it." Mr. Reynolds said standing up from the table. There was an air of silence, or perhaps the silence was simply more noticeable than before. Alexander worked on finishing his meal. He was taking the final bite when he heard a familiar voice echo through the household.

"Can Alexander come out to play?" The voice of an overly enthusiastic girl rang out. Alexander immediately knew it was Heather. He dropped his fork to his plate, nervousness rushing up his body.

"Erm, excuse my friend. Alexander lives here, does he not? We were wondering if we could see him." A more sensible voice said. Bri was with Heather.

"And how do you know Alexander?" Mr. Reynolds inquired to the two girls. Before they could answer Alexander immediately stood up and rushed to Mr. Reynold's side.

"I met these two at the university. Bri here is the younger sister of one of my classmates and Heather is her best friend." Alexander quickly explained, coming up with an excuse on the spot.

"It's true." Heather stated, making it seem like it wasn't true at all. Alexander heard from back in the dining room Ms. Aoki objecting to something. Satori crept silently and appeared behind Alexander, gazing at the two girls blankly. Neither Heather nor Bri responded to her appearance.

"Yeah, we were wondering if Alexander could hang out with us, if that's okay." Bri decided to change the subject, not wanting to explain a lie any further. Mr. Reynolds looked to Alexander, then to Satori.

"I guess that's okay, providing he's back before ten." Mr. Reynolds wasn't sure how to respond. This was the first time he was ever put into this situation. "You have finished all of your homework, right?"

"I have." Alexander replied. "And I'd like to go with them if that's okay."

"Alexander, you're old enough to have friends. It'd be wrong of me to deny you of that, especially given how little you are able to socialize." Mr. Reynolds explained like it was no big deal. "I know you've been kept hidden from the world, but that wasn't intentional, there's nothing wrong with spending some time outside."

"Good." Alexander looked to Heather and Bri. He was surprised to see them so soon. Part of him thought after saying goodbye to Bri that he would never see them again, but now that they knew where he lived and anything was possible. Satori tugged on Alexander's arm until he turned around. Heather and Bri now noticed her, but were too polite to say anything.

"You want to come too?" Alexander asked Satori. She nodded slowly with a timid, shy expression.

"Absolutely not." Ms. Aoki appeared overlooking the situation.

"Kasumi." Mr. Reynolds turned to Aoki surprised by her defiance. "Satori has shown tremendous progress these past couple of days. The fact that she is even willing to go with Alexander has shown how much she has grown since we've been blessed with her."

"I'm aware more than anyone how far Satori has come, but we know nothing of these girls." Ms. Aoki argued.

"Alexander trusts them, and that's enough for me." Mr. Reynolds replied simply. Alexander was surprised by the amount of faith Mr. Reynolds had in him. Alexander always felt like he didn't do enough for Mr. Reynolds, but apparently he was doing something right.

"I'll make sure nothing happens to Satori." Alexander turned, staring Ms. Aoki straight in the eye determined. He knew Satori wanted to be involved with sealing the spells and he wanted to help her. Without her support he didn't know what he would do.