Chapter 5-11

Tuesday, September 28th. 2010

Chelsea and Hector were glued to the television set taking note of everything the news told them. Michael lay back on the couch casually admiring Chelsea's determination. He did his best to pay attention, but watching Chelsea was far more entertaining than listening to the news anchor. When the segment finally ended Chelsea summarized what they learned.

"So, all of the winning lottery tickets were bought from stores within a one mile radius of each other. That's no coincidence." Chelsea stated.

"It means whatever magic caused this is localized somewhere in the city." Hector commented.

"We should get out there immediately." Chelsea told Michael.

"What about Fiona? She's hunting me." Michael asked.

"We can't worry about her. We need to seal this spell before it causes more damage. It's our duty." Chelsea ordered. "Now come on." She dragged Michael from the comfort of the couch. Michael allowed her, she was right, this was his duty. He was the one who let the spells free after all.

"I don't think it's caused much damage at all." Michael murmured under his breath. It wasn't like Drakin or Stheno where people's lives were in danger.

"Be careful. And Michael, take care of her." Hector said. Before Michael knew it he was back in Chelsea's car and they were driving to the city. Michael didn't realize the one mile radius they had discussed was in the city until Chelsea filled him in. Michael allowed the wind to soothe his worries as the convertible drove down the empty highway. It was the middle of the day so it made sense that there was no traffic.

"I'm not used to this." Chelsea said suddenly.

"What do you mean?" Michael asked.

"Being out of school at this time of day, It's weird."

"I'm beginning to get more used to it." Michael shrugged. "These stupid spells are making my attendance even worse than it was before."

"I think you're a bad influence on me." Chelsea teased.

"That's what your parents say." Michael groaned. They weren't entirely wrong.

"They just don't know how much I love it." Chelsea grinned mischievously. The two passed the time by flirting and teasing each other. It was nice to be playful with Chelsea, it was a sense of normalcy in a world that was far from normal. It felt like another lifetime since Michael had first released the spells. He was beginning to get burnt out.

"There is a bright side to all of this." Michael exclaimed suddenly. "If we seal that spell we can use it against Fiona. And if it's some kind of luck spell we'll be set for life."

"You shouldn't think like that Michael." Chelsea disagreed. "Using spells against Fiona is fine, but to use them selfishly."

"Hey, I think I deserve to win the lottery after what I've been through since breaking that seal." Michael gave a false frown followed immediately with a laugh indicating that he was joking, but it was only a half joke. Lom insisted Michael enjoyed having these powers, and while that was partly true, his current spells were not worth the trouble. A spell to alter luck though would be far more beneficial in a modern world. Chelsea took a moment to respond, choosing her words carefully. Michael knew she was making sure she didn't offend him.

"Let's just use magic for emergencies, okay?" She asked with a pout. She knew he wouldn't say no to the pout. It had worked so many times on him before.