Chapter 4-3

Thursday, September 23rd. 2010

"It's coming right from him! And check out his outfit." Alexander heard a girl's voice from behind. "He's definitely a ghost! Start recording this!"

"He's not a ghost, I see him just fine." Another girl argued. Alexander turned around and relief washed over him. His pursuers weren't security guards. They were two girls, both around his age, maybe a little older. They wore dark clothing with beanies on, typical criminal attire, completely black except their pale white faces. The closer of the two had beautiful blue eyes that Alexander couldn't help but admire. The other held a flashlight in one hand and a phone in the other. She wore thick glasses that hid her eyes making her appear mysterious.

The one without glasses held a device pointed it at Alexander. It looked similar to a Taser, only it clicked and whirred like something out of a bad science fiction film.

"Hello?" Alexander asked confused, putting his hands down.

"It's communicating with us!" The one with the device moved closer to him. The device livened up as she held it around him, as if she were scanning him. "The EMF is off the charts."

"What?" Alexander took a step away from the device. "Who are you?"

"Do not be alarmed ghost boy." She pursued Alexander. The smaller one in glasses held her phone forward. She was recording the whole thing.

"Heather, I don't think he's a ghost." She repeated.

"He has to be, how else can you explain this?" Heather responded showing her the device's reaction.

"I don't know, power lines or something?" The girl with the glasses shrugged.

"Don't be ridiculous. I know you're skeptic, but you have to trust me! I haven't seen readings like this since we used that Ouija board at Kimberly's" Heather argued. "Remember how the whole house shook?"

"Nobody but you claims that." The glasses girl didn't agree.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not a ghost." Alexander said. The girl leapt back, the device still crackling wildly.

"Then explain these EMF readings! They're coming from you!" Heather snapped.

"I don't even know what that means!" Alexander replied. He realized they were making a lot of noise and looked around. No security guards were in sight, but he didn't feel comfortable sticking around much longer. Part of him wanted to just run and leave the zoo. He was beginning to regret coming at all.

"EMF is Electromagnetic field! It's what holds ghosts together." Heather let out a heavy sigh impatiently. "Ghost boy, stop fooling around. I'm trying to show Bri here what it means to be a ghost hunter!"

"I'm sorry, ghost hunter, but I'm very much alive." Alexander wasn't sure how to act. He had never been accused of being dead before. He assumed it was the residual effect of Faerina that was causing the EMF reader to go on the fritz, but he couldn't explain that.

"Heather, maybe we should just leave." Bri suggested. Despite her apprehensions she was still recording the whole thing.

"I agree with your friend there." Alexander decided to put his input.

"Well if you're not a ghost, what are you doing here and why?" Heather ignored Bri entirely. She moved forward, leaning in until she was only inches away from Alexander's face. As beautiful as she was her glare was cold and made him feel unwary.

"I was looking for something." Alexander didn't lie, but he wasn't about to reveal the whole truth.

"Looking for something in the middle of the night? Here?" Heather scoffed. "We've come to find the ghost that haunts this place, and I still think that's you."